Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

7/3/22 South off Sanibel to some springs that I have not fished in more than 15 years.

Wind forecast  looked promising 1 to 2 foot seas for a 12 to 15 mile  just off our shore line.  Just off the Sanibel lighthouse not too bad.  then as we were going  farther south  it was 1 to 3 then 2 to 3`  right out of the south. very bumpy ride. it was a bone shaker and a wet ride... Then  my main Garmin which is on a snap in mounting system pops out and I just caught it before it hit the deck .. When I reconnected it, now the screen is there but very dark.  Ok now Craig my son asks "do you have a manual on board?" he must be kidding ,no is the answer. He pulls out his Phone and  I give him the model and brand of Garmin that I have. my head is under a towel to try and read the  screen. Using his phone my son was able to download the Garmin manual. His wife Donna takes over on the Garmin , Craig is telling her what to do, I am at the helm driving. she is now following Craig`s instructions as to what procedure to do to restart the Garmin and brighten up the screen so I can see it. What a team OK all is working now.

I should have had a plan B in place. As soon as I knew it was not as calm as it has to be there was no way to stay over or around a spring. When conditions are right you will see a very distinct color change in the out flow water from the spring. Great to have a crew that can really help and not be disappointed if a plan does not work out. 

Replies

• craigwitkocraigwitko Posts: 40 Deckhand
    Larry trying to see a black screen on the Garmin that  snapped off the bracket while pounding some waves. 
  • MtgMamaMtgMama HoweyPosts: 105 Deckhand
    Worthless report,Quite typical of this site tho..
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,116 Officer
    MtgMama said:
    you get some enjoyment out of writing that, bud? Chill the f out
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,497 Captain
    bigfinn35 said:
    MtgMama said:
    I think that one is our token female, but, like you say, she's out of line.  I enjoyed the 1st 2 postings.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 19,405 AG
    MtgMama said:

That's rather rude.

Tell us, where are your reports?
  • nhkevnhkev Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Larry,  How do you find a spring?  do they show up on charts or do you notice a hole or is it the water temp change?
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 820 Officer
    larrywitt said:
    Wind forecast  looked promising 1 to 2 foot seas for a 12 to 15 mile  just off our shore line.  Just off the Sanibel lighthouse not too bad.  then as we were going  farther south  it was 1 to 3 then 2 to 3`  right out of the south. very bumpy ride. it was a bone shaker and a wet ride... Then  my main Garmin which is on a snap in mounting system pops out and I just caught it before it hit the deck .. When I reconnected it, now the screen is there but very dark.  Ok now Craig my son asks "do you have a manual on board?" he must be kidding ,no is the answer. He pulls out his Phone and  I give him the model and brand of Garmin that I have. my head is under a towel to try and read the  screen. Using his phone my son was able to download the Garmin manual. His wife Donna takes over on the Garmin , Craig is telling her what to do, I am at the helm driving. she is now following Craig`s instructions as to what procedure to do to restart the Garmin and brighten up the screen so I can see it. What a team OK all is working now.

I should have had a plan B in place. As soon as I knew it was not as calm as it has to be there was no way to stay over or around a spring. When conditions are right you will see a very distinct color change in the out flow water from the spring. Great to have a crew that can really help and not be disappointed if a plan does not work out. 
    Im sure you have since figured it out, but usually with the garmins, you can hit the power button a few times and it will go from dark to bright.... of coarse provided the unit is on.   Forecasts have been a touch off lately. and the storms are usually not accounted for... 
    MtgMama said:

Not sure who you are or where your from, but you can take that kind of **** attitude and go pound sand. We welcome all reports, good or bad... As far as I can tell, you haven't brought much to the table other than to talk crap... 

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
    larrywitt said:

Im sure you have since figured it out, but usually with the garmins, you can hit the power button a few times and it will go from dark to bright.... of coarse provided the unit is on.   Forecasts have been a touch off lately. and the storms are usually not accounted for... 
    MtgMama said:

Not sure who you are or where your from, but you can take that kind of **** attitude and go pound sand. We welcome all reports, good or bad... As far as I can tell, you haven't brought much to the table other than to talk crap... 

larrywitt said:

MtgMama said:

gogittum said:
    bigfinn35 said:
    MtgMama said:
    I think that one is our token female, but, like you say, she's out of line.  I enjoyed the 1st 2 postings.
    I apply "bud" in a condescending manner with perfect equality!
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,152 Officer
    Who is that **** . There's always one !
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,901 Moderator
    nhkev said:
    Larry,  How do you find a spring?  do they show up on charts or do you notice a hole or is it the water temp change?
    There are a number of springs some active and other dormant. When it is very calm you will see a color change I will attach the list.
    Good luck and be safe out there. 
    Ii
    Where'd you find this report, Larry? Would be interested in reading some other like that in whatever journal it was published in.
    This was passed on to me from another Capt. who runs out of Venice. I am Not aware of the original source. Sorry.
    larrywitt
  • nhkevnhkev Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Larry, thanks for sharing.  don't know if it's anywhere near where I fish.  I thought i had maybe come across one over the weekend.  I was heading out towards arc reef on Friday.  along the way I noticed the depth change from 48 feet to 53 feet pretty quickly and the water temp changed by 1/2 degree.  the fish finder was lit up with fish.  I decided to stop and fish it and hit a lane snapper, 18" red grouper, smaller red, and a puffer fish within 5 mins.  Thought I may have stumbled across one.
  • Fisherman007Fisherman007 Tampa BayPosts: 204 Deckhand
    bigfinn35 said:
    Where'd you find this report, Larry? Would be interested in reading some other like that in whatever journal it was published in.
    See page 35 (page 24 in document) 
    https://digitalcommons.usf.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5032&context=etd
    bigfinn35 said:
    thanks!
    bigfinn35 said:
    Boy thanks for the link. What a lot of information as to what  the bottom looks like.
    larrywitt