Skip to main content
Home Sportsman's Kitchen

hoe cakes/corn cakes

smooth movesmooth move Posts: 541 Officer
not sure of the difference, but i love em. made some last night to have with some leftover deer stew. had one this morning with butter, cane syrup and a runny egg. just a cornbread recipe cooked in a skillet like pancakes.
le se' bon ton roulet

Replies

• bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,116 Officer
    looks and sounds great. Never had em cooked precisely like that before, most of the ones I've eaten were super soft, had little to no wheat flour in them, and were pretty sweet. More of a dessert side than anything. Mind you, that's not a criticism, one of my favorite sides to have with good BBQ. 
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,742 Captain
    edited July 4 #3
    I'm an old boy now at 74, but as a kid I can remember my Dad making cornbread, pouring the batter into a cast iron pan that had a series of molds in it shaped like ears of corn... Those cornbread "sticks" were not sweet - just plain cornbread and with a bit of cold butter I could eat them before anything else on my plate.  To give you an idea of his Alabama/Tennessee background, before the batter was poured into each cavity,  a half teaspoon of melted bacon fat went into each mold (cast iron pan well heated and removed from the oven to allow the batter to be poured in).  I have no idea what the recipe was - but in my memory of those years at least  a  half dozen country recipes for everything from navy bean soup to various kinds of greens (mustard, collards, turnip, etc.) were part of daily fare on nights when my Dad was the cook (Mom liked to do french, italian and other sophisticated dishes).  Wish I'd been smart enough to learn them way back when... Nowadays folks shy from animal fats, and other stuff that were staples for country folk north and south  - all those years ago... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,390 Captain
    My wife makes cornbread usually with a mix and buttermilk in a cast iron skillet every time we have greens or peas. It’s the first thing I eat after the blessing. Once that first one is gone I fix a plate with everything. Love me some cornbread.
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 1,406 Officer
    My wife inherited her mother's recipe for cornbread and the cast iron pan with the broken handle that she made it in. It is as good as anybody's, but I still like some fried in bacon fat when I go to camp.
  • red owlred owl Posts: 712 Officer
    To me, corn bread is the top of the line variety made with milk, eggs, etc. Baked in an oven. Melted butter on top.  "Hoe cake" was sort of a backwoods thing. I make mine with 30% white flour and 70% corn meal, baking powder and water, some salt as well.  Shape like a thin hockey puck, soft "sticky" dough consistency; and DON'T bake, fry in a greased pan about 5 minutes a side.  I'd eat it with greens.  Probably more healthful than most stuff you eat these days. That and a glass of milk- you can live on it.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,818 AG
    edited July 14 #7
    In Key West, we called it Johnny Cake instead of Hoe Cake. Same thing I believe.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,902 AG
    Grandmother made them with the bacon fat.
    Sometimes she'd fry up bacon real crisp and crumble that in the batter, was real good
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 476 Deckhand
    It's hard to beat cracklin cornbread with a glass of cold buttermilk.