Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

Huge Amberjack, Gag Grouper, Red Grouper changes

harbisonharbison Posts: 5,576 Admiral
Huge Amberjack, Gag Grouper, Red Grouper changes
https://youtu.be/Ax7ERWAZFsI
If you fish for Amberjack, Gag Grouper, Red Grouper this video is a must see:


















Huge Amberjack, Gag Grouper, Red Grouper changes

Replies

  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 476 Deckhand
    Anumber1 told us to be expecting something like this.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,576 Admiral
    Guess we all knew it was coming. 
    Personally I have been fishing offshore for over 60 years. Grouper and snapper fishing was good back then; it still is. Exception was Red Snapper; we had none.
    AJ... Up until a few years ago they were plentiful. Now they are getting harder & harder to find. 
  • Phins_360Phins_360 FLPosts: 26 Deckhand
    So MSA - supposed to limit derby style fishing - yet we are going to have derby style fishing, at least on the REC side.

    At least it looks like for gags, anyway, the comm guys are getting similarly reduced :smile:

    I filet and release more now I guess.

    Once again the NMFS is a day late, like any dot gov agency.  $6/gal gas and diesel is shutting down the fishery anyway by default.

    I did a trip back in June.  overnight, west of the MG, on a weekend even, and hardly saw anyone.  A few comm boats out there, but nothing like it was a year or 2 ago.

    They should have left the seasons alone.  Plenty of RG, gags and ARS out there. So I don't see the reason behind the closures.  Never trusted the NMFS "data" either. 

    Oh yeah, I am all for a reporting app for us RECs.  The reason we DON'T have one is that the REAL data would be contra to their narrative and thus NOT support closures based on our alleged pressure on the fishery.


    Fire away ANUMBER zero.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,902 AG
    Phins_360 said:
    So MSA - supposed to limit derby style fishing - yet we are going to have derby style fishing, at least on the REC side.

    At least it looks like for gags, anyway, the comm guys are getting similarly reduced :smile:

    I filet and release more now I guess.

    Once again the NMFS is a day late, like any dot gov agency.  $6/gal gas and diesel is shutting down the fishery anyway by default.

    I did a trip back in June.  overnight, west of the MG, on a weekend even, and hardly saw anyone.  A few comm boats out there, but nothing like it was a year or 2 ago.

    They should have left the seasons alone.  Plenty of RG, gags and ARS out there. So I don't see the reason behind the closures.  Never trusted the NMFS "data" either. 

    Oh yeah, I am all for a reporting app for us RECs.  The reason we DON'T have one is that the REAL data would be contra to their narrative and thus NOT support closures based on our alleged pressure on the fishery.


    Fire away ANUMBER zero.
    real data would prolly shut you down on gags.
    you F&R comment is prolly true for 50% of you recs.
    I personally know of some high end charters out of Crystal River that shuffle extra gags onto other boats at sea and then meet back up at the dock to retrieve them.

    Real data ain't going to help you at all.

    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,576 Admiral
    From what I understand the #1 problem is the Gag sex ratio; too many females. 
    Shuffle Gags... Hurting all of us. 
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,912 Captain
    harbison said:
    From what I understand the #1 problem is the Gag sex ratio; too many females. 
    Shuffle Gags... Hurting all of us. 
    If this is true. Then why not a slot limit. Let the big boys go, problem solved.
    Easy- peasy, no PhD required to solve that equation...............
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,576 Admiral
    Sounds good to me. 
  • plumber1969plumber1969 Posts: 387 Deckhand
    drgibby said:
    harbison said:
    From what I understand the #1 problem is the Gag sex ratio; too many females. 
    Shuffle Gags... Hurting all of us. 
    If this is true. Then why not a slot limit. Let the big boys go, problem solved.
    Easy- peasy, no PhD required to solve that equation...............
    Same reason they won't use that logic for ARS on the atlantic side.
    2019 Frontier 2014 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,902 AG
    drgibby said:
    harbison said:
    From what I understand the #1 problem is the Gag sex ratio; too many females. 
    Shuffle Gags... Hurting all of us. 
    If this is true. Then why not a slot limit. Let the big boys go, problem solved.
    Easy- peasy, no PhD required to solve that equation...............
    then you would complain about $5/gallon fuel and only being able to keep dinks..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,912 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:
    harbison said:
    From what I understand the #1 problem is the Gag sex ratio; too many females. 
    Shuffle Gags... Hurting all of us. 
    If this is true. Then why not a slot limit. Let the big boys go, problem solved.
    Easy- peasy, no PhD required to solve that equation...............
    then you would complain about $5/gallon fuel and only being able to keep dinks..
    Nope. I am not a whiner. 
    I would much rather eat a 30 inch gag than a 38 inch fish. 
    Put an upper slot at 36 inches, that would ensure that the boys are going back to spawn.
     Lack of males was the stated reason for the closure. Problem solved.
    $5/gallon gas does not scare me. Having a boat and not being able to fish for NOTHING, now that scares me.  So does a limited gag season right in the middle of deer season!!!!!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,902 AG
    drgibby said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:
    harbison said:
    From what I understand the #1 problem is the Gag sex ratio; too many females. 
    Shuffle Gags... Hurting all of us. 
    If this is true. Then why not a slot limit. Let the big boys go, problem solved.
    Easy- peasy, no PhD required to solve that equation...............
    then you would complain about $5/gallon fuel and only being able to keep dinks..
    Nope. I am not a whiner. 
    I would much rather eat a 30 inch gag than a 38 inch fish. 
    Put an upper slot at 36 inches, that would ensure that the boys are going back to spawn.
     Lack of males was the stated reason for the closure. Problem solved.
    $5/gallon gas does not scare me. Having a boat and not being able to fish for NOTHING, now that scares me.  So does a limited gag season right in the middle of deer season!!!!!
    not really directed at you, but a lot would whine. lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Phins_360Phins_360 FLPosts: 26 Deckhand
    edited August 21 #13
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Phins_360 said:
    So MSA - supposed to limit derby style fishing - yet we are going to have derby style fishing, at least on the REC side.

    At least it looks like for gags, anyway, the comm guys are getting similarly reduced :smile:

    I filet and release more now I guess.

    Once again the NMFS is a day late, like any dot gov agency.  $6/gal gas and diesel is shutting down the fishery anyway by default.

    I did a trip back in June.  overnight, west of the MG, on a weekend even, and hardly saw anyone.  A few comm boats out there, but nothing like it was a year or 2 ago.

    They should have left the seasons alone.  Plenty of RG, gags and ARS out there. So I don't see the reason behind the closures.  Never trusted the NMFS "data" either. 

    Oh yeah, I am all for a reporting app for us RECs.  The reason we DON'T have one is that the REAL data would be contra to their narrative and thus NOT support closures based on our alleged pressure on the fishery.


    Fire away ANUMBER zero.
    real data would prolly shut you down on gags.
    you F&R comment is prolly true for 50% of you recs.
    I personally know of some high end charters out of Crystal River that shuffle extra gags onto other boats at sea and then meet back up at the dock to retrieve them.

    Real data ain't going to help you at all.


    I disagree, I' am certain REC reporting would help us.  Your mythical "muh every rec angler fishes 24/7/365 and limits out every time" is caca del toro

    Not to mention 90% of the recs don't land fish.  Because they suck at it.

    No, the reason we don't have rec reporting, is that they (dot gov) don't want rec reporting.  Roy would be devastated at ground truth and it would absolutely wreck his plan.
  • Phins_360Phins_360 FLPosts: 26 Deckhand
    ANUMBER1 said:
    then you would complain about $5/gallon fuel and only being able to keep dinks..

    Reality is that the higher fuel prices are keeping more of the "stressed" at the dock. 

    Just filled my boat with diesel,  my guy charged me 5.05/gal - and that's with the discount I get.  1000 gal of that adds up, but that doesn't make me complain. 

    What makes me complain is that we have mismanaged the resource going on 17 years now.

    I am glad though,  finally "endangered species" are not only being shut down for recs, but you comm bois as well.


  • Phins_360Phins_360 FLPosts: 26 Deckhand
    edited August 21 #15
    ANUMBER1 said:

    not really directed at you, but a lot would whine. lol

    What do you think of bottom long lining then?

    You com bois can lay the hooks out and hoover up all the following:

    Species Covered By This Permit

    • Gulf Grouper
    • Black Grouper
    • Gag Grouper
    • Scamp
    • Snowy Grouper
    • Speckled Hind
    • Warsaw Grouper
    • Yellowedge Grouper
    • Yellowfin Grouper
    • Yellowmouth Grouper
    • Almaco Jack
    • Banded Rudderfish
    • Greater Amberjack
    • Lesser Amberjack
    • Blackfin Snapper
    • Cubera Snapper
    • Gray Snapper
    • Lane Snapper
    • Mutton Snapper
    • Queen Snapper
    • Red Snapper
    • Silk Snapper
    • Vermilion Snapper
    • Yellowtail Snapper
    • Blueline Tilefish
    • Golden Tilefish
    • Sand Tilefish
    • Gray Triggerfish
    • Hogfish
    • Wreckfish

    Should be outlawed IMHO.

  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,576 Admiral
     "They should have left the seasons alone.  Plenty of RG, gags and ARS out there. So I don't see the reason behind the closures.  Never trusted the NMFS "data" either. "
     
    What has the NMFS ever done to earn our trust?
     
    "Roy would be devastated at ground truth and it would absolutely wreck his plan."
     
    I hate to say it but 'Roy's plan' leads to...
    "I filet and release more now I guess."
     
    "What makes me complain is that we have mismanaged the resource going on 17 years now."
    "I am glad though,  finally "endangered species" are not only being shut down for recs, but you comm bois as well."
     
    A lot longer than 17 years. I started serious offshore fishing in the early sixties. We could catch whatever we wanted whenever we wanted to with absolutely NO limits. Good for the fishing; devastating for the fishery. 
     
    "What do you think of bottom long lining"
    TERRIBLE KILLING MACHINE!

    This 'KILLING MACHINE" is outlawed on the Florida Middle Grounds. It should be all over the world! 
     
     
  • Phins_360Phins_360 FLPosts: 26 Deckhand
    edited August 25 #17
    Bob the 17 years I was referencing was since MSA passed

    I haven't been out there not quite that long as you but I've been fishing the GoM since the mid 70s

    yes, lots of sarcasm in my post you were quoting

    I still fervently maintain Roy and the gang don't want Rec's to report because it would total their agenda.

    Bottom long liners are out there working all around the MG Bob. When we do our overnights on my boat I see them out there.  Heck even talked to them on the radio.  Nice guys, but no, long lining of any flavor should be perma banned.

  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,576 Admiral
    edited August 28 #18
    "yes, lots of sarcasm in my post you were quoting"
    I have absolutely NO problem with that as long as it remains constructive. Differences of opinion is how we learn.

    "I still fervently maintain Roy and the gang don't want Rec's to report because it would total their agenda."
    Agreed!  Been following Crab for years. I really believe King Roy would love to see all Rec's off the water completely. 

    Guess many long line do indeed work the Grounds. ILLEGAL! So what!!!

    "long lining of any flavor should be perma banned."
    Strongly, very strongly agree!
    This must be stopped:


    I have no problem with bandit boats. 
    I shot the these pic while fishing the Florida Middle Ground...


  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,902 AG
    edited August 27 #19
    either one of you ever been on a longline boat?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,902 AG
    Bob, you posted a pic of a ray in a high seas drift net or lost cargo net?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 476 Deckhand
    Just curious, how shallow of water can they legally longline in?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,902 AG
    edited August 27 #22
    120' (20 fathoms)
    June-August 210' (35 fathoms)  these are for reef fish,  other species are different.

    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 476 Deckhand
    About 15 yrs ago I got my anchor tangled with a long liner in 75ft, may have been legal back then.
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 476 Deckhand
    They were catching reef fish, mostly red grouper from what I saw.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,902 AG
    maybe,it changed around 2005 or so
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,576 Admiral
    "Bob, you posted a pic of a ray in a high seas drift net or lost cargo net?"
    Thanks for calling it to my attention. Changed it!

    "either one of you ever been on a longline boat?"
    NO! Don't care to either. Have talked to many who have. Not a pretty picture. 



Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Digital Now Included!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

Preview This Month's Issue

Buy Digital Single Issues

Don't miss an issue.
Buy single digital issue for your phone or tablet.

Buy Single Digital Issue on the Florida Sportsman App

Other Magazines

See All Other Magazines

Special Interest Magazines

See All Special Interest Magazines

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Florida Sportsman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement

Phone Icon

Get Digital Access.

All Florida Sportsman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets.

To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Get Digital Access

Not a Subscriber?
Subscribe Now