Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Better be careful in those woods Johnny

jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 2,323 Captain
edited June 22 in Off Topic #1
Largest python ever found in Florida. Wow! 

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/biggest-python-florida/

God sleeps in the minerals, awakens in plants, walks in animals, and thinks in man.

Arthur Young

Replies

• tagtag Posts: 9,509 Admiral
    What a beast. It’s interesting they track the females with male scout snakes. 
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 463 Deckhand
    I ride around out in the strand sometimes

tag said:
    What a beast. It’s interesting they track the females with male scout snakes. 

It is an interesting concept..... The male alone cannot reproduce.... If they follow him to the females, remove the females and let him go find more.

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 12,894 AG
    So they are pimping out the male snakes?
    Do i have that right?
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • GardawgGardawg IslamoradaPosts: 15,125 AG
    So they are pimping out the male snakes?
    Do i have that right?

re upload pimp snake by StupidShepherd on DeviantArt
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 639 Officer
    Some of the 20 minute struggle was caught on video.

• gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,364 Captain
    fishinbug said:
    Some of the 20 minute struggle was caught on video.

Ol' Marlin Perkins.  I used to love the footage, but watched with the volume off.  Couldn't stand the way they commentaried it....like they were talking to half-wit 5 year olds.
    How far north and west have the Pythons spread so far ??  I've read a couple of blurbs saying they've been seen in the Tampa Bay area.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 12,894 AG
    I live in Tampa and haven't heard that.
    I figure if it was true I'd of seen it all over the news.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    gogittum said:
    How far north and west have the Pythons spread so far ??  I've read a couple of blurbs saying they've been seen in the Tampa Bay area.
    Some have been found in Hardee County...... Including a large female. 

They will continue to move north though....

A number of years ago, we had a cold winter... Some scientists said it would likely kill off all the snakes... 
    And it did kill some....But not all of them. Some snakes seemed to have strategies to counter the cold, finding pockets of warmth. Some seemed to simply be more cold tolerant. 

They have said the same thing about iguanas at times... But they survive thrive and are steadily moving northward.... Iguanas are showing up in Volusia County....

A couple of things......
    1) every time there is a freeze event that kills off some of the snakes..... The remaining snakes with strategies or have natural resistant are the ones that survive to breed. So each Generation becomes more cold tolorant. 

2) The Burmese Python has the largest and most diverse natural range of any species of snake. Their range extends into the foothills of the Himalayas. Areas where cold weather and freezes are common occurrences. There is no reasonable argument to say that could not expand along the coastal regions of the Eastern US. At least as far north as Virginia.....  I am not a scientist but I am a lifelong student of reptiles. If you asked me what is possible for range expansion. I would say, look at the American Alligators home range..... That will give you a good idea. 
    I live in Tampa and haven't heard that.
    I figure if it was true I'd of seen it all over the news.
    Do a quick google search.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 10,832 AG
    That Python was caught about 3 miles from my Naples / Glades Home.
    We started seeing them regularly about 6 or 7 years ago...same with Iguanas.
    No doubt they are expanding their range.
    y neighbors found them pretty regularly in their Chicken coops and Duck Roosts pens. I just did a Burn Out on this guy's head..

Killin and Grillin :grin
    Big meany.  Did it suffer ??  😎😎