Skip to main content
Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Just a bunch of Hybrids...Tarpon Snook

I had the honor of having Bob from Project Lift and his son, Liam on my boat this afternoon for a few hours of fishing.  Bob is the Founder of Project Lift, which is an innovative delivery of mental health services providing therapy through the unique platform of vocational training.  It is a very successful program which I became familiar with while doing kids fishing clinics with Bob.   We headed out at 4:00 with a few hours of the outgoing tide left.  It started slow although we found a bunch of Tarpon Snook and landed 5.  You will notice they have a much smaller mouth than a Common Snook and bigger eyes, they don’t grow as large as Common or Swordspine Snook, thus you will never catch one in the slot.  We ran the tides looking for more Snook although it was very slow.  Liam lost three drag screamers on different docks and I will admit, he slayed the Catfish, including an 8 pounder!  Lots of Mangrove Snapper were caught and Liam landed a huge one that almost made it in the ice chest, although I had a change of heart or my laziness kicked in knowing that I would have to filet it.  We called it a night at 9:30 before the best incoming tide bite was about to start.  It was a pleasure putting Bob and his son, Liam on some Snook tonight.  I even snuck in a few casts and landed a Tarpon Snook.