Skip to main content
Home Conservation Front

Mangrove concern

UnclecraigUnclecraig CentralPosts: 2 Greenhorn
New to this forum. Old to the salt. Quick question.  Forgive me if I've missed this topic elsewhere. What is killing the mangroves or knocking them back from Shark Point through Mangrove Point and parts South on the outside perimeter?

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,781 Captain
    Might want to post this in your region (regions-fishing reports).  You'll have better luck with local knowledge.
    Barely anyone here cares about conservation
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,737 AG
    rising sea levels are taking the outside islands, been watching it here since the 1960s.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,672 Captain
    edited May 19 #4
    Sea levels aren't constant (and never were...).  I might help to remember that the Orlando area, 10,000 years ago - was waterfront property (saltwater...) and that the Everglades itself only assumed it's current form 5000 years ago.... That said, yes, we're living in a time of rising sea levels - but the rise is so slow and gradual that you'd be hard pressed to notice it - except in places where very foolish humans built right up to the high water mark (Miami Beach is a very good, very bad example...).  As usual you can also expect that politicians in those places directly affected by rising sea levels will do anything to get the rest of us to pay for the problems that result (while not saying one word about past practices...). 

I've been fishing the gulf coast of the Everglades for  quite a few years - and the signs are obvious,.... Lots of stumps in three and even four feet of water bear mute testimony to mother nature's rising waters - and only a fool would attempt to say where it will end.  Or when the process will inevitably reverse and our descendants will be complaining about sea levels retreating...  by the way - all of those great mangrove shorelines (both along the coast and inland....) are actually kind of temporary, depending on what the next hurricane or two will do.... In the interior,  in places like Whitewater and Oyster Bays there are at least eight or nine islands I used to fish - that simply aren't there any more... Mother nature doesn't fool around... 

While I'm on a roll... every time I hear about Climate Change... I just laugh since climate, like sea levels has never been fixed in stone - it's always either warming or cooling - and the evidence is there to see ever since our planet formed - just ask any geologist... Climate change is an on-going process - and always will be...

ps... From what I can see - I'd say that water levels in the areas I'm familiar with (Cape Sable north to Lostman's River..) that water levels have been slowing rising for a hundred years or more....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,781 Captain
    Interesting.  I thought op must have been talking about a localized issue.
    Here in Tampa Bay (and Merritt Island is experiencing the same), we have the opposite problem.  Mangroves are thriving and even overtaking oyster bars.. creating a different problem.  They say it's bc of warming and the lack of freezes to knock them back.  Last freeze that caused any damage here was 2007-08ish iirc and i think for just a couple days or so
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,194 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    rising sea levels are taking the outside islands, been watching it here since the 1960s.
    and has caused damage/loss to maritime hammocks up to a few miles inland. There are a few photographers that have documented this and you can see the change over the years.
    However this year we saw a few days well into the 20's- i suspect some damage was sustained to aerial roots, trunks, stems and leaves of the red and black mangroves.
  • UnclecraigUnclecraig CentralPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thank you guys for your input.