Home Fly Fishing

Da Bay Area Lodge, South Andros, Bahamas

sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 685 Officer

Went with two friends to Andros. One has a little fly and bonefish experience, the other has none, but fishes with me for seatrout, pompano, and ladyfish on occasion. We took Maker's Air out of Lauderdale direct to Congotown. There was a lot of pre-trip aggravation relating to getting a Bahamas Travel Visa and negative Covid tests within 72 hours, but it all went well.

The lodge was fabulous. A location on the beach a few yards from the ocean. A nice flat out front that we never really fished. The staff was perfect as well: a great hostess (Lisa), an amazing cook (Que), and a man-of-all duties (Dovey). Loved them all. The beer was always cold. Nice rooms, nice AC, nice showers. Very fresh, new facility. Everything sparkled.

We went out with two different guides. Both in early forties. One took two of us, and pretty-much waded all the time. 
The other took the single angler, and mostly waded, but fished from the bow a bit more. 
To make a long story short, the two-angler boat caught zero fish in 3 days. The other guide and single angler got about 16 bones. Each of us took a turn as the "single-angler": 4, 8, and 4 fish. Definitely not an epic trip by any means. Realistically, with a little better luck the more-poorly guided boat could have had one or two fish a day.

The fishing was supposed to be from 8 am to 4 pm, with a pretty long 1-hour ride to start the day. Honestly, the boats cheated and were back by 3 or 3:30 every day. The good guide was there ready at 7:30 every day, the other guide showed up after 8. The less-successful guide had boat overheat problems every day. Minor problem on days 1 and 2, lost most of the third day. They had 4 boats, but kept using the bad one. He didn't want to use the flies that had worked.

Caught most of the fish on Foxy Gotchas.

I would go back in a second. 
I'd try to make sure I got a good guide.
I'd be much more vocal if a boat showed troubles.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Replies

• tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Brutal particularly for early May...I suspect you've already sent that narrative to the booking agent.  Wherever we may roam in search of flyfishing it's always the guide who puts us on the fish...all else is irrelevant...but at least you were "on the beach."
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 685 Officer

Honestly it wasn't a bad trip at all.
    We had a great time.
    I think hoping my friends would catch (more) fish made me less worried about me catching.
    I'd of just like for them to had have had a few more.

Mark

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 390 Deckhand
    I've been to Andros 4 times with Phillip Rolle of North Andros Flyfishing. Over all those trips 20 fish a day the norm but I usually quit after I caught a dozen to just watch the other angler. Almost all wading. Phil puts you up in a 3 bedroom house and doesnt mix parties. If it's just 2 people u get whole house. Dinner brought in by local cook, breakfast is cold cereal, juice etc that you get yourself from well stocked kitchen. The one time we went with 4 people there was a dramatic difference between other guide and Phil. Standard # 4 Gotcha was all I ever needed , catching 19 on one fly in day and a half till a cuda chopped it. I highly recommend Phil's operation.. He mostly fishes Joulters but if weather good he'll fish west side for bigger fish and occasional tarpon for a $100 sur charge. I have fished middle bight of Andros with Andros Island Bonefish Club. Very well run but when I fished it far fewer fish than Joulters. Phil is somewhat less expensive and Makers Air flies to North Andros as well. By far the best bonefishing I've ever had and I've been to several islands in Bahamas.( 40 years ago the marls were insane but not what they were) Not a lodge experience , more private which suits me just fine.
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 685 Officer

Hey Trout,

I wrote you this a few months ago. I fished with him as well. Sadly, he died from Covid a couple years ago.

Mark

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 390 Deckhand
    ****! I'm so sorry to hear that. He was a gentleman in every way.