Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Red Snapper Season

joszafjoszaf Posts: 21 Deckhand
I know it will be bittersweet to see how few days we actually get compared to the gulf but does anyone know when we can expect to see the Atlantic season announced? 

Replies

• Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 2,117 Captain
    I don't think they've announced it yet, but if they give a weekend, it will be July 8-10.

https://safmc.net/regulations/regulations-by-species/red-snapper/
  • cftsmokecftsmoke Posts: 378 Deckhand
    Everyone on the east coast is thinking that.  We are heading to the Abacos from Jax that weekend with planned stops in Canaveral and Ft. Pierce before jumping over.  Lets just say transient slip space is very hard to find..... hate I'll miss it but maybe we'll grab a couple on the way down and concentrate on Abaco pelagics when we get there.
    2016 Everglades 325.
  • joszafjoszaf Posts: 21 Deckhand
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 1,964 Captain
    it'll be the weekend of the kingfish tourneys.. wind will be blowin and the ramps be overflowin'... sounds like a bad country song...
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 2,117 Captain
    Just announced today. They’re giving us July 8th and 9th only. Two freaking days……
  • dixiedaddixiedad Posts: 433 Deckhand
    That's bad enough, but check out what the commercials are gonna get.
  • Crkr23Crkr23 Posts: 868 Officer
    Unless I read it wrong, commercial fishermen are allowed less than half the amount of ars compared to recreational fishermen. With a 75lb trip limit, I can only imagine that it is just a by catch situation. What stinks is that they only allow us 2 days to fish, regardless of the weather, whereas commercials fish until they fill their catch limit. I would rather have a tag system where we could catch our 2 fish anytime we wanted.
    It looks like things are better on the GOM, we have a 2 fish daily limit, maybe 40 days to catch them. On the gulf, the recreational fishermen get about half the catch, the commercials about half. That sounds pretty good until the recs have to divide half of their half with the charter fleet.
    It all stinks and God knows what will fix it.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,722 Admiral
    Crkr23 said:
    Unless I read it wrong, commercial fishermen are allowed less than half the amount of ars compared to recreational fishermen. With a 75lb trip limit, I can only imagine that it is just a by catch situation. What stinks is that they only allow us 2 days to fish, regardless of the weather, whereas commercials fish until they fill their catch limit. I would rather have a tag system where we could catch our 2 fish anytime we wanted.
    It looks like things are better on the GOM, we have a 2 fish daily limit, maybe 40 days to catch them. On the gulf, the recreational fishermen get about half the catch, the commercials about half. That sounds pretty good until the recs have to divide half of their half with the charter fleet.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,722 Admiral
    Crkr23 said:
    Tags works for other species in other places. Have not heard why it is not applied here. And you are quite correct in the "commercial" end of it will simply be bycatch.
  • joszafjoszaf Posts: 21 Deckhand
  • plumber1969plumber1969 Posts: 387 Deckhand
    Well the boat is gassed up, rods ready and hoping and praying for clam at the boat ramps. Please people use etiquette at the ramp. Have your boat prepared and staged before backing down. Winds are looking good enough for Friday and Saturday, I expect it will make the boat ramp in Steinhatchee during scallop season look empty. Good luck to everyone and please be safe out there. 
    2019 Frontier 2014 
  • Black WaterBlack Water Posts: 292 Deckhand
    NOAA calling Fri 3-4 ft. South winds 10-15 MPH. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." :fishing