Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Anyone dipping crabs with these big tides? Any permit sightings?

Got a buddy in town next weekend and might try and find a permit.  How have the crabs been doing with this rain and the big tides?  Flushing decent yet?  Might go tonight or Wednesday to try and get some.
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• jrod1776jrod1776 Tarpon SpringsPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    I listen to the Florida Sportsman podcast and there was mention of a school of permit migrating up the coast on the beaches with the Tarpon. A Captain out of Tampa Bay reported seeing a school on the beaches recently. I’ve never caught a permit and would really like to get a shot at one on the fly. Reports of them on the beaches definitely makes me excited. I’d rather fish for them on the beaches than the wrecks. Would love to hear if anyone else has seen permit recently? Would also like to know if them migrating up with the Tarpon is something that typically happens annually? 
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,643 Captain
    They usually show up around the same time.  Mid March and on.  Not sure they migrate together but they are definitely arriving about the same time each year.
  • jrod1776jrod1776 Tarpon SpringsPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Are you targeting them on the beaches or on the wrecks?
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,643 Captain
    I generally target them on structure.  Not wrecks especially.  Any of the near shore public reefs generally hold them.  Any significant relief off the bottom in my experience but I am not expert.  This time of year when crabs are abundant we definitely try and pick a few off and it is almost always around near shore reefs and decent structure/relief.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Yes on crab flush and permit on nearshore wrecks, but I’m down in Boca. I have caught permit both on the beach and bean point when tarpon fishing in the pass so they are around. There is some rocky bottom not far off the beach (like 10’ of water) off Anna Maria that hold fish so that is where I’d check if you aren’t going to wrecks or reefs. 
  • CJFLCJFL North FloridaPosts: 39 Deckhand
    What depth are you guys seeing permit typically?
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 18,564 AG
    edited May 13 #8
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,191 Officer
    found a school in 3'. not sure if spooked they me or i spooked spooked them. when found em again coming off a bar, they veered away from a well placed shrimp. did not have time to rig light for a smaller pass crab. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 18,564 AG
    edited May 15 #10
    They are really tough when in shallow.  I've never been able to manage a bite in that situation, the few times it's been presented to me.  Have you, PM?
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,191 Officer
    edited May 18 #11
    in the keys, w/ small crab a couple times. once with shrimp coming off a bank. Up here, no - that was first encounter. Ill be rigged and probably never see em again there.
    My son 15 yrs ago, His second that day. Near Long Key, Gulf side.