Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

ICW tips please!

JakeVJakeV Posts: 4 Greenhorn
Hello fellow anglers.  I'm new to fishing the ICW and find myself getting skunked!  I've tried casting, jigging primarily on outgoing tides at stream outlets but no dice.  I've been using artificials of all types.  Gulp shrip and shad, plastic shrimp and shad.  Jig and also weedless shim bait set ups.  Drifting, trolling, casting.  Nothing has worked.  :(  Would love some pointers!
-Jake

Replies

• bswivbswiv Posts: 8,720 Admiral
    Learn to fish the river. Plenty of fish......not so many people.

• DrLouDrLou Posts: 47 Deckhand
    A friend had 15 reds in 2 hours at Atlantic Blvd in intracoastal using 1/4 crabs on a jig yesterday
  • Bite3Bite3 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    What was the tide doing when he caught all those reds and was it just at the bridge
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 4,600 Captain
    Totally skunked, like not even a catfish?
  • BossVossBossVoss Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Try to work your way up into some of those creeks branching off the ICW. Up in there you can use the same method of targeting creek mouths off the small feeder creeks. Usually some oysters around the mouths of the small feeders is what I like to target.
  • BattlefishBattlefish Posts: 506 Officer
    Take a look at some of my videos paddle tails and jerk baits. https://youtu.be/2mFwCNENv1g 20 lb braid with 15 lb Berkley green leader abour 3-4 feet long 
    Fishing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/@jeffbattlefish

BattleFish
  • RevJoeyFitzRevJoeyFitz Posts: 212 Deckhand
    I would start by asking what type of line and tackle you’re using? Most use too much tackle and it causes fish to be finicky. 

I usually prefer live bait or fresh cut over anything. Good thing is that there is an abundance of mud minnows and finger mullet in the ICW. I like to use the live ones either free lined or on a popping quark to attract some attention
  • JakeVJakeV Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thanks everyone for the tips.  I've been using artificials like gulp shrimp and shad on weedless weighted hooks and 1/8 oz jigs.  Also, pre-weighted Vudu shrimp and DOA shrimp lures.  I've ventured far into creeks, cast near creek mouths, and cast toward structures.  Also, some deeper jigging when nothing else was working.  I am using 20 lb braid with 15lb 6 ft fluorocarbon leader.  Fished yesterday 10 hours with 1 bite!

• BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 1,964 Captain
    sounds like you have the right arits in hand...not a ICW pro by any means but tides are a big part of the bite so pay attention to when you DO get bites.  Like the Rev, I like to use live bait as much as possible and YES fresh cut like Ladyfish, mullet or pogie will pick up reds.. mostly because I don't have the patience to thro artis over and over but will do that when it makes sense or maybe to prospect a spot for a min..  if there are Herons working the bank hang out for a min and watch for live bait.. find bait and fish won't be far away and you can thro artis in that direction.. watch the water, birds, currents, logs/oysters, etc.. and ICW  low tide will show you allot of where to fish when the tide comes up.. keep at it, take mental notes all day and repeat till you find your groove.. allot of older posts showing how to catch Flounder, trouts, reds, etc.. that you can check out too.. guys on here do share success stories when they post! good luck and keep us posted on your journey!
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 1,964 Captain
    oh, and learn to throw a 6-8 ft cast net!
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 4,600 Captain
    Your trying to fool them, I like to feed them. Live shrimp or mullet on a popping cork. Once you find them you can throw those lures at them. And ditto on the cast net.