Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Beach Snook Leader

ItsnotluckItsnotluck Posts: 8 Deckhand
Hi,

Heading to Sanibel beginning of June.Anyone have a hand tied leader formula that they prefer for the 
Beach including shock tippet?Probably 10 ft for the calm/clear and reduced for the choppy stuff.
I will be packing a miscellaneous of 8wt. lines from floating to Intermediate..All the fluorocarbon I need....

Thanks 

Replies

• ItsnotluckItsnotluck Posts: 8 Deckhand
    I guess I should have looked at the Thread at the bottom of the page... :)
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 501 Officer
    I keep things simple and often will use just a two part leader. 3-4ft of 40-50lb for butt end connecting to the fly line, then a 6ft section of 30-40 and thats what I tie my fly too. I fish the east coast so that works when conditions are roughed up. If its clear and im having trouble I may add a section of 20-25lb flouro to tie the fly to. I like a simple leader like this because its a lot less work and the stiffer lines will help your fly turn over if its windy. Also if you really want to drop down to light and use a bite tippet I wouldn't go much under 30lb for the bite. Yes the fish are on the beach and typically cant break you off on structure but of course they still got the rough mouths and more importantly, if you do hook a big fish you dont want to have to play the fish to death so it doesn't fray through your leader. These are our breeder fish :)
    Thanks a lot Tarponhunter..That would be a good leader for the "rough stuff" as you suggested...After test casting my hand tied Bonefish leader I took to Cuba ,it looks like I've got a good presentation leader..
    One thing I've noticed is fly action and the way it tracks is effected by thicker shock leader.So something to consider as well as bite protection.There are so many formulas and opinions on leaders thats for sure..  
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 421 Deckhand
    An easy solution that works for me is World Wide Sportsmans (Bass Pro) 10' tapered leaders in 16lb test. Casts ok and they dont inhibit fly action like the heavier 2 piece leaders . For reds and snook I tie a 6" Bimini Twist and then tie a perfection loop with the doubled line and loop to loop 18" Fluro 25-30 lb bite tippet . This way, on a good day where you have to cut back bite tippet a bunch of times (hopefully) you dont loose any leader. For spookier bonefish I skip the Bimini and blood knot an 18" 12 lb Fluro tippet. I have one leader on my Flamingo 8 wt thats been on  since last summer but replaced bite tippet half a dozen times in last week alone. I use the Bimini and loop to loop for beach snook as well on a clear intermediate sink tip and snook dont seem to mind it. Lots of different ways to do it, but I like this method.
    Thanks Troutbom I know Norm Zeigler was a fan of using a knotless tapered leader saying that it picks up less debris in the surf...What kind of Intermediate sink tip do you use? Sometimes guys call a full Intermediate a sink tip but are you using a floater belly with an Intermediate ghost tip?Other than my Airflo Bonefish/Redfish floater, I bring a SA full Intermediate clear Bonefish line, and a Wulff TT clear full Intermediate..Kind of wish I had the floater belly with Intermediate tip line..
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 421 Deckhand
    A RIO  tropical series weight forward floating with a clear intermediate tip , 1 1/2-2 ips. Tip about 10-15 ' . Some days it makes a big difference off the beaches.