Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Fish Finders

Looking for a fish finder for my 2015 Lowrance ready outback. Mostly for offshore use to find the fish and see bottom. Any recommendations? Trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible but I also want something that's going to actually going to be accurate and last me a few years. Thanks. 

Replies

• cranker789cranker789 Posts: 531 Officer
    I like the garmin echomap 64cv, but its a little pricey, ill have to save up for it, and do some more research. I think ill be happy with the Chartplotter and high definition fish finder. Also were getting a jet ski soon, and id like to be able to switch the unit back and forth from the jet ski to kayak, ill have to talk to the salesman about what kind of fish finders can be put on the jet ski. 
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 4,216 Captain
    I have a Raymarine Element 7 and the traditional mode is good, but the real vision 3d is a joke, They make the presentation super small, and the dots do not match the targets on the standard mode.  The salesman said that it can be tuned, but have yet to be able to make it worthy of use.  Garmin and Lowrance have competing presentations at significantly more expensive prices. So far seems like none of them are worthy.  For a basic unit, try to find one that has a locking plug on the back.  The cheaper models just plugin without the twist lock, and some of my buddies complain about them unplugging.  A West Marine-style warranty is a worthy consideration for any frequent kayak angler.  West marine prices are generally high, but they do price matching for merchants within 50 miles, and sometimes amazon?  When the unit stops working, the warranty can save the hassle of phone calls/shipping/waiting with the manufacturer.  When mine dies, I bring it in and walk out of the store with a brand new unit.
  • cranker789cranker789 Posts: 531 Officer
    West marine has the Garmin ECHOMAP 7 and 9 inch units on sale until may 2nd. Is the 7'' easy enough to see from the kayak or should I go with the 9''? Its 100 cheaper for the 7''.  When I get the money ill have to go compare the two but its hard to know when its not actually mounted on the kayak. 
  • krashkrash Posts: 879 Officer
    I just found in my attic, spring cleaning, and old original thermal paper plotter... put it out in bulk trash.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    krash said:
    I just found in my attic, spring cleaning, and old original thermal paper plotter... put it out in bulk trash.
    The sport boats I worked on as a kid had Simrad's.  Click click click,  Click, click, click,  Click click click... every pass of stylus burning in the bottom contours on the thermal paper made the sound.  Will never forget that memory.
    West marine has the Garmin ECHOMAP 7 and 9 inch units on sale until may 2nd. Is the 7'' easy enough to see from the kayak or should I go with the 9''? Its 100 cheaper for the 7''.  When I get the money ill have to go compare the two but its hard to know when its not actually mounted on the kayak. 
    7" is plenty big if the presentation is good.  What irks me is when they make a one-inch wide column of useless information instead of utilizing the whole screen with chart and underwater data.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,741 Captain
    krash said:
    The sport boats I worked on as a kid had Simrad's.  Click click click,  Click, click, click,  Click click click... every pass of stylus burning in the bottom contours on the thermal paper made the sound.  Will never forget that memory.

Yea... my paper Ross depth finder made that sound and could mark individual kingfish and diffrenciate them from Aj's. Bottom fish were also sometimes marked. i could run at planning speeds and mark wrecks, since i had the transducer mounted through the hull in the center of the boat. i finally replaced it with a Sitex when it went south, but that machine was not as sensitive.

Giimoozaabi