Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mexico non-salty fishing trip 03- (26-28) - 2022

Well , been considering this adventure for some time. I've fished saltwater in Mexico a few times and wanted to check the fresh. I chose lake Picachos for it's numbers since I was taking my father in-law with me. He is an avid bass fisherman.

The lodge on the lake was nice. Rooms were rustic but had good AC and hot showers. Two guests to a cabin and separate bedrooms. 
View looking over main lodge/restaurant and lake.

They assign a guide for the day and he gathers your gear from the cabin (you bring reels and tackle , they supply rods) Coffee and wake up at 5am. Then down to breakfast buffet.

You finish eating and head to the boat.

We had awesome weather. Cool in the morning and warm in afternoon. Bluebird skies the whole trip. Lake is 15' below full pool and has lots of timber,

And , lots of bass ! We caught no large fish first day but boated about 200 total. 
You go in to an awesome lunch then an hour "siesta" before back out.

Next morning I caught a nice 6.28 for that days big fish.

Dinner was ribeye's and all the trimmings and lots of cerveza !  A part of mine had already been consumed..lol I was hungry.

It was EXCELLENT ..

Back out next day and after 109 fish previous day and I get another big fish at 7.58

I hooked one about same size a little later but lost it boat side.. 
That night was seafood time. Shrimp 4 ways and lobster with all the trimmings. 
They feed you really good. 

Great experience. The guides don't speak english but are very attentive . You don't unhook any fish (unless you want) and they even retie and unhang (lots of unhanging) when you stick a bait in a tree or rock. They are quite good at it. 
Your boat is loaded with the beverages of your choice and guides are quick to grab one for you.

We caught 100 plus fish everyday. There are large bass in this lake but you needed to fish deep for them and we didn't bring the correct tackle to commit to that. Guys that did caught less but averaged bigger fish. 
Overall experience was really good (not cheap) but worth it in my opinion . 
There are two lodges on this lake. Oddly , I met the man who owns the other lodge while fishing on lake Rousseau last month ! He owns Angler Inn and suggested I go fish the Amazon for peacock bass as he has a large houseboat deal there also..
Hmmmmmmm ?

later , capt louie

"You'll get your weather"

Replies