Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

SHARKS

harbisonharbison Posts: 5,467 Admiral
SHARK
Ever since mankind has been on this earth man has been fascinated by, terrorized by, sharks. In actuality we can learn so much from sharks. Sharks are 450 million years old and have been on this planet longer than almost any other animal. Sharks have lived through every major mass extinction event and have survived long past many other competitors. With over 3,000 species spanning nearly half a billion years, sharks are one of the most evolutionarily successful species to ever live.

Over 400 species of sharks inhabit the waters of planet earth today. Perhaps the best known, most talked about,
most feared, is the Great White. With over 300 razor sharp teeth the Great White Shark has few to no equals.

When deep-water fish are caught a condition called barotrauma, expanding gases in the swim bladder, is more often than not fatal. A process called venting releases the gases. Venting a Great White could possibly be a 'little' on the dangerous side. NO PROBLEM! Sharks do not have a swim bladder. Instead of a swim bladder sharks have a large liver filled with low-density oil providing static lift. No venting necessary.

No Great White discussion would be complete without a close look at the movie JAWS.
On June 20, 1975, JAWS, s film directed by Steven Spielberg that made countless viewers afraid to go into the water, opened in theaters. The story of a Great White shark that terrorized a New England resort town became an instant blockbuster hit and, at well over 400 million dollars, one of the highest-grossing films in movie history:

Next a shark that is as strange looking as the sharks of 450 million years ago, the Hammerhead.
The Hammerhead shark is the newest species to enter the water. Hammerhead evolution dates back around 20 million years ago.

DANGEROUS SHARKS

How dangerous are sharks to humans?

Humans are much more dangerous to sharks than sharks to humans:

In cultures such as China shark fin soup has been considered a symbol of wealth and a delicacy since the Ming Dynasty. Fins can bring in hundreds of dollars on the market, with the average being about $450 per pound.
A bowl of soup can cost $100:

We can learn so much from sharks. Sharks are one of the most evolutionarily successful species to ever live.

credits
Social Sutta
Phillip Colla
BBC Earth
Albany
Getty Images
Universal Pictures
Wikipedia

Replies

• chaser48chaser48 San Mateo Fla.Posts: 318 Deckhand
    Another good read Thanks
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,467 Admiral
    Thank you.  You are the reason I do what I do.
  • BooBooBooBoo Vero Beach Fl and Ft. Lupton ColoradoPosts: 218 Deckhand
    Very interesting and much appreciated!  
  • stevenattsustevenattsu PensacolaPosts: 5 Deckhand
    Jaws Two was mostly filmed around Pensacola. I know you hate that area 
    Thank you so much.  Makes the insane amount of research worth every minute.
    Pensacola:  Jaws Two... Very interesting. 
    Pensacola is a wonderful area with outstanding people & beaches:

The only problem I have is with a Forum out of Pensacola. It does not represent Florida. 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,670 Captain
    edited April 3 #7
    Where I guide on days when I'm working out of Flamingo or Chokoloskee - has so many sharks that I can usually count on getting my angler hooked up in about five minutes in any place along the coast where there's at least three feet of water and a good current.  No chum needed just a fresh killed bait (I want the bait kicking when I cut it... ) laid out on the bottom.  Bulls, lemons, blacktips, nurses (unfortunately), as well as the occasional hammer or tiger - from little ones in the three or four foot size all the way up to un-stoppable (ten feet long and bigger - much bigger).  Heck we're even able to get them hooked up with a fly rod... when we choose - if I have an angler who wants to hook something really tough, that never gives up.

In summer you don't have to be fishing for sharks to get that up close and personal feeling when you hook a good trout, redfish, or snook since they're living right next to the sharks.  A shark has to really work at it to catch a healthy fish - but hook any fish with a shark nearby and your fish better get to the boat as quickly as possible... Most of my best spots during summer along the coast of the Everglades will produce a fish or two before sharks get in the way - but you better be quick about it... Not one bit of those dark inshore waters are safe to swim in as far as I'm concerned... Just nothing like the 'glades...

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • CoolBeansCoolBeans Brevard CountyPosts: 9 Deckhand
    edited April 4 #8
    Certain types of sharks are good for eating, especially the small ones. Marinate in buttermilk overnight, then grill the next day. Yum!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,670 Captain
    Sharks spoil very quickly.. You really need a chiller or”pickle barrel” to flash freeze them (one bucket of saltwater for every 20lb of ice).  Good luck - and remember we now have size limits on sharks as well…
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Very interesting.  Thanks!