Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

live well pump tripping breaker

noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 317 Deckhand
Hey guys so the other day I took the boat out live well pump wasn't working. next trip out I switched it to another switch as I've had issues with that in the past. i take it out everything's working fine and I notice a little while later its off. I figure out both switches had the button under the switch tripped. id turn it on it'd run for a few seconds and trip again. 

Could it be the cartridge for the pump or would it more likely be the switch or wiring? 

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 18,918 AG
    edited March 29 #2
    I'd check the switch/wiring first.  Test for point to point resistance on both the positive and negative livewell circuit wires.  Do you have a multimeter?
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,492 Moderator
    Pull the cartridge and make sure it's clear and spinning freely  Mayne a bearing is frozen and not letting the pump spin or there is trash in the chamber where the impeller is located, keeping it from spinning freely
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 18,918 AG
    edited March 29 #4
    Good point, Jack.  I would have expected it to not be "working fine" if it was tripping a breaker, but it's worth a look (and at the pre-filter if there is one).
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,157 Moderator
    Mine did the same when a heat-shrink connector got salt water in it (wasn't shrunk completely it turns out). 
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 255 Deckhand
    You're probably drawing too much current due to a failing motor or bad connection, but your breakers may not be the correct size for that pump.
  • noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 317 Deckhand
    I got it brand new from Ankona so I hope the breakers are the right size haha but ill take a look at the heatshrink and impeller and all that first. it has a cartridge that isn't too bad of a price so if I need to replace it it doesn't hurt too much.