Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

Fantastic Florida March Catches

harbisonharbison Posts: 5,468 Admiral
Fantastic Florida March Catches
Traditionally March offers some of the best fishing the Sunshine State has to offer.
Let's take a look as seen from the deck of the Florida Fisherman ll.

The March 18, 2022, trip was no exception:

But there can be a problem with deep sea fishing in March.
As we enter the spring months of the year, the sun's angle relative to the surface of the earth increases, allowing more direct exposure to the ground causing warm air to rise. When this warm are rises, air rushes in to 'fill' in where it left, causing greater surface winds.

But there is an alternative, inshore fishing. Fishing in much more protective waters can, like deep sea, be very exciting offering tremendous fights and fantastic eating.
Looking for a real fight? Mr. Jack Crevalle will give you 110% and come back for more:

Well! Fantastic eating in this case may be stretching the point just a little. The Jack's dark meat and hefty blood vein leave a fishy taste on the palate that most consider inedible.

Now, let's take a look at some recent catches of fish that are not only fun to catch, but great as the number one guest for dinner:

On a recent wild boar hunting trip I had the honor of meeting Dave from Colorado. Dave is an expert fly fisherman. His number on target... Trout:

Dave is anxious to fly fish for our Florida Trout.
Trout... Fun to catch, great to eat:

Talk about,'fun to catch, great to eat' blackened Redfish
is a real winner:

Many years ago the countless miles of never-ending grass flats along Courtney Campbell Causeway were home to hugs schools of Redfish. Our favorite bait was blue crabs cut in half. The crabs were easy to catch; they were everywhere. We always caught more than we needed for bait.
Blackened Redfish, corn, and fresh caught blue crabs.
It just does not get any better than that:

Redfish... Yesterday & today:

Inshore at its best... Snook
Many year ago, while fishing the Dunedin flats, I had the honor of fishing with a man I respect and have admired for years, Captain Mel Berman:

Our target was Trout. Often a I'm hungrier, faster, than you, Snook would strike and the fight was on. After jumping for the sky this silver beast would often make a long run down the beach. On occasion he would circle around me. Here I am in waste deep water fighting a fish in between me and the beach. FANTASTIC!
Yesterday, today, and tomorrow going strong:

there is an alternative, inshore fishing. Fishing in much more protective waters can, like deep sea, be very exciting offering tremendous fights and fantastic eating.

credits
Google
Microsoft BING
Getty

Replies