Skip to main content
Home Boating

Minn Kota Riptide Motor mount

FlashFlash Posts: 12,535 AG
I bought that quite some time ago, just to get the 52 inch motor to use on a mount already on my boat. Bought from Billy Henderson. Sold my boat but still have this around. Would like to see if I can sell it but it is different than the mount I had. I cannot see how trying to pull the cord, the motor would then be free to lower in the water. Is anyone familiar with this style of Riptide?

The thru bolt seem to hold it right to the frame of the mount and does not allow it to release to lower a motor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 984 Officer
    Your missing something.In your first picture there should
    be a part where a T-part,to which the pull rope is attached
    to other end fits into a bracket.In that bracket who a spring
    that held that T-part.When you lowered the motor it released
    that spring.When you stowed the motor  it reclamped that
    T-part.
       Use to have a Riptide like your motor.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 12,535 AG
    10kman said:
    Your missing something.In your first picture there should
    be a part where a T-part,to which the pull rope is attached
    to other end fits into a bracket.In that bracket who a spring
    that held that T-part.When you lowered the motor it released
    that spring.When you stowed the motor  it reclamped that
    T-part.
       Use to have a Riptide like your motor.

This is more like the one I had. Possible I took something beside the motor to put with the base that was on boat?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Posts: 1,303 Officer
    When the motor is in the down position, pulling on the rope should pull what you call the thru bolt to release the bracket so it can be moved to the stored position. There should not be anything except human force to pull the bracket and motor up to move the motor to the down position. When in the stored position there is nothing to lock the bracket and motor to the deck. Pulling on the rope and human force is what raises the bracket and motor from the deck. Sorry I cannot explain it better. Hope this helps.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • chaser48chaser48 Posts: 345 Deckhand
    Pulling the release with no motor on the bracket is hard to do,if  your trying to close it down ,thru bolt is for lowering trolling motor or taking motor off the brkt

When the motor is in the down position, pulling on the rope should pull what you call the thru bolt to release the bracket so it can be moved to the stored position. There should not be anything except human force to pull the bracket and motor up to move the motor to the down position. When in the stored position there is nothing to lock the bracket and motor to the deck. Pulling on the rope and human force is what raises the bracket and motor from the deck. Sorry I cannot explain it better. Hope this helps.

I probably have to bolt it down to something. As it is now, it will not budge will I pull on the rope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• rwatersrwaters Posts: 45 Deckhand
    I have the same mount. Spray your favorite lubricant on each of the latch pins it will be night and day. I have broken the pull cord a couple times. I replaced with paracord. Good luck.    
    rwaters said:
    I have the same mount. Spray your favorite lubricant on each of the latch pins it will be night and day. I have broken the pull cord a couple times. I replaced with paracord. Good luck.    

If you could take a photo of the top area like my last two photos, would appreciate it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• polliwogpolliwog Posts: 355 Deckhand
    I have the same motor and bracket, I agree with 10k there is a missing part to slide the motor into position. My motor is a 70 size  24 volt.  Mine is mounted on a puck for easy removal.  I wish I had a picture of the set up, but it's up in CT now.
    polliwog said:
    I have the same motor and bracket, I agree with 10k there is a missing part to slide the motor into position. My motor is a 70 size  24 volt.  Mine is mounted on a puck for easy removal.  I wish I had a picture of the set up, but it's up in CT now.

Does it look anything like the B & W photo I posted above?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• chaser48chaser48 Posts: 345 Deckhand
    Have you figured it out yet ? Looks like mine your pictures appears to have all the parts
    edited February 2022 #12
    chaser48 said:
    Have you figured it out yet ? Looks like mine your pictures appears to have all the parts

Well one member thinks some parts are missing. Poliwog for one. I can not get the release bolt free to allow it to drop in working position at this point.   Does it look anything like the B&W photo? That is like the one I use to have on my Key West.
     can you provide me with a photo of yours??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• polliwogpolliwog Posts: 355 Deckhand
    I wish I could see my unit, but the cord has to go to the opposite end of the rails. I may be wrong about a missing part.  I must be getting old.  I agree that the latch pins should be lubed .  It does take some force to release motor to deploy.  Hope someone will put a picture of their unit up.
    polliwog said:
    I wish I could see my unit, but the cord has to go to the opposite end of the rails. I may be wrong about a missing part.  I must be getting old.  I agree that the latch pins should be lubed .  It does take some force to release motor to deploy.  Hope someone will put a picture of their unit up.

Well you can obviously see by the Black & White photo above that something would be missing if it is the same type.
     It just seem like if the motor is to be lowered by pulling the pull rope, this bolt I have marked, should not run thru both frames. It seems like this would keep it from raising up, as the rope is pulled, to lower the motor to the water.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• rwatersrwaters Posts: 45 Deckhand
    The locking pins may be frozen with corrosion you cannot see. Lube the pins or use PB blaster then take a punch and a hammer and tap them to release. All the action happens under the bracket. When my rope has broken I had to release with a pair of pliers to lower the motor.