Home General Fishing

FG Knot tool

conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 11,059 AG
Anybody tried one? I never heard of this type until today.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Replies

• WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 456 Deckhand
    That’s a long time to make a knot. Also, it wasn’t realistic, because when he was cutting, he should have cut the regular braid line and have to start over like I do. 
  • Fisherman007Fisherman007 Tampa BayPosts: 139 Deckhand
    Ya gotta use a tool to tie a knot?  Fuggedaboutit!
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 2,694 Captain
    Seems very complex and tedious.  I've used one of these for decades and find it so fast and easy, esp. with wet and/or cold hands that I rarely tie anything else.  This thing ties Nail Knots.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QG07PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't find much data on the Nail knot, but seems to me it should be as strong as anything out there and more compact than most.  It goes thru the guides better than anything else I know of.  It also lets me cliip the tag end close without worrying about slippage.....and that helps a lot with going thru guides.

Slippage - the knots are So secure that I hafta be careful of wraps of each vs. line diameter and spit on them good or I  won't be able to properly cinch them down - braid and/or mono.
    P.S.  My fingers have gotten more fumble-ey with passing years and I find a helper tool to be very handy.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,697 Captain
    FG fails easily if not tied correctly. Too complex!  
    Jason :USA
  • benwah22benwah22 Posts: 260 Deckhand
    I don't think you really need a tool to tie an FG.  If you're breaking out tools, might as well just do a PR knot and get a 100% connection. 
    Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Shimano
    AFTCO
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,125 Officer
    I can tie the FG without the tool but like gogittum mentioned my fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be and don't always do what I want them to do.  I have used that tool for a number of years and find it very helpful.  I find it easy to use and it helps insure that the FG knot is tied correctly.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 5,028 Admiral
    1outlaw said:
    FG fails easily if not tied correctly. Too complex!  
    I don't think it's complex at all. It takes a little practice, but I've never had one slip. 
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,728 Captain
    I tie the FG knot all the time without any tools.  Once you have tied it a few times, it becomes routine.  That tool requires too many steps and misses a crucial step to tying an FG knot.  After the first half hitch is tied to lock the crisscrossing of the braid, the two ends should be pulled super hard.  This will cause the braid to dig into the Mono/Flouro leader which is what makes the knot holdfast.  The FG is essentially a Chinese stopper, and as long as the crisscross braid stays tight on the leader, it is a small diameter super strong knot.   Prior to using the FG, I would use a uni to uni knot which would always be the weak link.  When I switched to the FG, the line often fails somewhere else when tested.    
    edited January 18 #11
    You young whippersnappers have it all your own way.  After reading this thread, I tried tying an FG knot out of curiosity.  My stiff, uncoordinated ol' fingers rebelled and I made a mess of it.  The idea of tying it out on the water with wet hands.....I doan t'ink so.  I'll stick with my nail knot tool.  It works slicker'n greased Owl s h i t, it's strong and it don't slip.  Small diameter, too.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,728 Captain
    gogittum said:
    You young whippersnappers have it all your own way.  After reading this thread, I tried tying an FG knot out of curiosity.  My stiff, uncoordinated ol' fingers rebelled and I made a mess of it.  The idea of tying it out on the water with wet hands.....I doan t'ink so.  I'll stick with my nail knot tool.  It works slicker'n greased Owl s h i t, it's strong and it don't slip.  Small diameter, too.
    LOL.  If it works, don't fix it.  Young is a relative term, I turn 60 this month.  The nail knot looks similar to a snell knot on a hook, or uni on the line.  I tie the FG offshore on a kayak without issue.  I tie it using the method described by SaltStrong's youtube video.  
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,801 Captain
    Tying the F&G got a whole lot easier once I watched the you tube video on how to tie it without tension.
    That was a game changer for me.