Home General Hunting

thanks fwc

meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 944 Officer
it all can,t be negative      lets hear some positive stories on how fwc helped you out a time or 2.

Replies

• OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 702 Officer
    HAd one give me a tip in 3 lakes yrs ago helped me kill my first buck there.

Have made friends with one of the best WINK here in S Fl, he's on here knows me well, great guy he's there for me ( i think) and likewise no matter what time of day or night. He loves BOHICA as well takes it good lmao!
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,582 Admiral
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,801 Captain
    I have never had a negative encounter with any FWC officer.
    They have always been very receptive about any issue I have ever contacted them about. Especially regarding trespassers and poachers.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,536 Captain
    Ya most of them that patrol ONF know me by first name now(not sure thats a good thing) but theyve all been professional about it. Check my licenses and away they go. One even offered me a ride back to my vehicle. I'm sure most of them know once they encounter someone if your acting like a idiot or sketchy their alert goes up. Yoy break the law they prolly aren't very cordial about it. 
    edited January 13 #6
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 969 Officer
    Never had a bad experience with one. I prefer LE go by the book anyhow. Easier to navigate when I know how they operate.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,716 Captain
    I had three negative encounters. All were for minor BS, and one almost landed me in jail.

The last incident was at Slim's coming in at 0100 from speck fishing a few years ago, but the officer slowed his roll when I told him, "it's obvious I'm legal and legit. Either write me a ticket or let me go. My son isn't feeling well and I don't need to be harassed at this hour. I also don't need to be lectured on something I probably know more about than you." He was cool and let me go. English guy. Just doing his job and used good discretion. I thanked him and went on my way. Not a bad resolution compared to how it started off.

The first time was about 20 years ago. I pulled into a lighted area with my boat in tow so I could pull my outboard off the transom and stow it in my truck after some afternoon fishing, before heading home. It was dark, in the middle of nowhere, my wife and daughter were in the truck. The guy rolled out of the shadows like James Bond and scared the sheet outta me to be honest. He started asking questions and I couldn't understand him so I said, "excuse me?" He immediately started getting testy,  unprofessional, and downright nasty and belligerent. I told him he better back off or there was going to be a problem. I told him I couldn't understand him mumbling in the shadows and all I was doing was trying to be safe, stowing and securing my boat under the light with my family in the truck. My wife jumped out and diffused the situation but she thought I was going to jail for sure. A few years later the same officer started unnecessarily breaking my balls at the airboat ramp in the same area after a morning hunt. I told him he should be in the field busting the guys who were reaping the mottled ducks from where I was just hunting. He kept on, and found nothing out of order and let me go, but not before acting like John Wayne confronting a native American. This time I filed a complaint and never saw him again. Kudos to his superiors.

Other than that, the field officers and biologists have been pretty darn good. Low pay, and long hours makes it a tough pill to swallow, I'm sure. I can concede that much, but it still doesn't mean you have to be a punk to the public while serving in that capacity. IMHO...
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,733 Captain
    My professional interactions are mostly good. I will only say as it relates to the professional side that there are definitely different personalities and work cultures depending on where they’re stationed out of. I think very highly of the crew stationed around Lake City both past and present. 

Personally, over the years the LEOs on the ground have always went the extra mile to answer questions about WMAs for me. I’ve never been checked in the field while hunting that I recall. Been checked on the water a couple of times. Only reason that sticks out in my mind was I remember on one occasion the officers seemed suspicious of my brother and I but whatever made them suspicious they apparently discounted once they got close to us. We were in the middle of a good school of trout and were hauling them in left and right.  
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,197 Captain
    Most interactions are good, one gave my son and I a ride after we got a Turkey. BUT the ones who think they have something on you but they are wrong and wont accept nor verify your side of the story....those are the problematic ones. 2 major incidents come to mind for me.
    I was being checked late one night on the point of the reef alligator hunting, a few of us had rafted up on dry ground together and were just shooting the bull when a call came in... officer down. Ill never forget that night when they jumped into their boat and headed for the ramp. RIP

SEO - Michelle Lawless Florida FWC (southeasternoutdoors.com)
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 772 Officer
    Overall my interactions with the field officers have been very good. I know many of them in the areas I hunt and they know me. 
    The issues I've had lately all stem from people in Tally sitting behind a desk making decisions without any input from anyone in the field. Example would be changing the hunt dates of certain WMA's to take away us hunting during the rut and then refusing to move date back where it used to be.
    We have myfwcc and the other dept FWC to ake things clear. The other is the anti hunting arm of FWC
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 944 Officer
    i have had a few misunderstandings lets say but 95% positive for me      from rides to good tips on areas to hunt or fish ect.  even had one help me blood trail a deer few years back.  20 yrs ago  found a fresh road killed 300 lb bear in the middle of the road on 29 heading to ok slough at 4.45 am     jackpot i thought      pulled to the side    hazards on     started skinning that sucker in the headlights of my truck on side of the road   i remember i was so happy cause i always wanted a bear skin so bad.    first a sheriff     then fwc    then 2 more fwc then a nerd from big cypress and another sheriff      omg like i found bigfoot    3 hours later with a warning i was on my way     just a misunderstanding.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,625 Captain
    Let’s be clear, any issues I have with fwc are biologist, habitat management, and wma rules related.  Too much anti hunting, money wasting, can fix a problem because we have 1000 excuses, can’t do our job because we have 10,000 excuses. I grew up on a wma in another state. I understand habitat management and I’ve seen good managers find ways around rules to get the work done. Wildlife is largely screwed in Florida…

I’ve never had an issue with fwc law enforcement, I’ve been corrected a time or two and sent on my way. If they say I did something I accept their point of view. I’ve never been ticketed and have no intention of it. Are they human yep, do they do dangerous work explicative yes, do they have bad days can’t imagine how most aren’t but they show up and I try my best to make them feel appreciated for their work.

I will happily take any fwc officer hunting or fishing if I have some inside knowledge that will show them a good time. I have hunted several times with fwc game wardens and will drop them tips on law breaking and places they might want to go hunting without me. It’s especially nice when you shoot a hybrid mottled duck and the fwc officer sitting next to you says no doubt about it and you have a clear conscious shooting the next mottled duck that comes along. I’ve also had game wardens take me hunting and it was great. 

But the rest of the fwc can go sink a pipe.  
    Several posts the last few weeks Meat that I don't know if you are serious or pulling my leg. Either way it's hilarious.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 944 Officer
    Several posts the last few weeks Meat that I don't know if you are serious or pulling my leg. Either way it's hilarious.
    bear story    100% true       5 special op turkey permits false
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,905 Admiral
    edited January 13 #18
    Never really had a problem with FWC...But there's a USFW Fed guy patrols around Goodland , Glades area that is a real Jerk.
    He's easy to spot he wears 2 Glocks on his belt and he's Spanish..and an Idiot.
    Every stop is like Rambo .
    Hope you don,t meet him cause I have several times and he'll do anything he can to ruin your day.
    When I worked for National Park Service we'd get Temporary Rangers for hunting season from all over the Country. You could tell they were mostly Bunny Huggers from the big Parks out West where no hunting was allowed...and they Did Not like Hunters
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 772 Officer
    meateater said:
    bear story    100% true       5 special op turkey permits false
    Yeah meat,
     the 5 sp opportunity turkey was an obvious one. LOL
    Figured as much on the spec op. Bear story felt right in line. Funny either way
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 279 Deckhand
    I was putting the boat in to run up to the springs and had my nieces with me who were pretty young at the time. FWC pulled out of their parking spot to give me the best parking spot at the ramp to make it easier on me considering I had young ones aboard.
  • WetBanditWetBandit Posts: 124 Deckhand
    edited January 14 #22
    Last year I lucked into a pretty nice turkey quota on a reissue.  On my first scouting trip on the way back to the car, I saw dog prints and fresh boots over my tracks... weird.  When I got back to the car, there were 3 FWC trucks.  The man who greeted me seemed to be a supervisor.  He radioed someone else and a few minutes later a very sweaty officer and his panting K-9 companion came up the trail to the gate.  They thought I was poaching as there wasn't a hunt that weekend (good time to scout, right?) and tried to track me.  I found this pretty hilarious, especially because the K-9 handler was drenched and practically out of breath.  I had just been stalking and listening, I was moving pretty slowly.  They asked me what I was doing and ran my ID.  They were professional and respectful, and quickly realized I wasn't doing anything shady.  After we cleared that up, I said - "Well now that I've got you here, I'd be remiss if I didn't try to get some intel from you, can I ask you some question about the area?"  They chuckled and obliged.  The K-9 guy took off and the two senior gentleman talked with me for 20 minutes or so about my questions and different tips for the area and nearby wmas.

I still think it was a pretty intense response to a car parked at a gate but it wasn't a negative experience for me by any means.  I had hoped I was gonna see one of them cruising around anyways that day so I could flag them down and ask a few questions as I had never set foot on the property before.

In terms of scouting for sign, I now think LEO presence is a great indication of game.  I think of all the uneventful hunting trips and areas I've spent time on never seeing game or FWC.  Pulled a pretty nice permit and all of the sudden there are as many FWC folks prowling around as there are gobblers.
    That is interesting Bandit
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,385 Officer
    I have officers I went to high school with that are still in FWC today.     Great people.   I have also hunted and fished with FWC officers and bios.    In 40 years I have had a few bad apples.   Same stuff mentioned above.  My anger at FWC is with their politics.   
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,716 Captain
    WetBandit said:
    Last year I lucked into a pretty nice turkey quota on a reissue.  On my first scouting trip on the way back to the car, I saw dog prints and fresh boots over my tracks... weird.  When I got back to the car, there were 3 FWC trucks.  The man who greeted me seemed to be a supervisor.  He radioed someone else and a few minutes later a very sweaty officer and his panting K-9 companion came up the trail to the gate.  They thought I was poaching as there wasn't a hunt that weekend (good time to scout, right?) and tried to track me.  I found this pretty hilarious, especially because the K-9 handler was drenched and practically out of breath.  I had just been stalking and listening, I was moving pretty slowly.  They asked me what I was doing and ran my ID.  They were professional and respectful, and quickly realized I wasn't doing anything shady.  After we cleared that up, I said - "Well now that I've got you here, I'd be remiss if I didn't try to get some intel from you, can I ask you some question about the area?"  They chuckled and obliged.  The K-9 guy took off and the two senior gentleman talked with me for 20 minutes or so about my questions and different tips for the area and nearby wmas.

I still think it was a pretty intense response to a car parked at a gate but it wasn't a negative experience for me by any means.  I had hoped I was gonna see one of them cruising around anyways that day so I could flag them down and ask a few questions as I had never set foot on the property before.

In terms of scouting for sign, I now think LEO presence is a great indication of game.  I think of all the uneventful hunting trips and areas I've spent time on never seeing game or FWC.  Pulled a pretty nice permit and all of the sudden there are as many FWC folks prowling around as there are gobblers.
    Their presence is almost a guaranteed indicator of huntable game. No wardens around = slim pickings, compared to other areas nearby. At least in my experience.
  • WetBanditWetBandit Posts: 124 Deckhand
    edited January 14 #26
    It was and I still think back on it with some disbelief.  I remember walking back to the car thinking, "D*mn, who came all the way back here to walk their dog? I sure hope that doesn't happen come hunt weekend."

I also felt a small sense of accomplishment knowing I completely slipped by the handler and his dog with out even knowing he was there.  It was only the two guys waiting at the gate that found me.
  • aqualifeaqualife JupiterPosts: 68 Deckhand
    Never had a bad experience with one. I appreciate the job they do. 
    WetBandit said:
    It was and I still think back on it with some disbelief.  I remember walking back to the car thinking, "D*mn, who came all the way back here to walk their dog? I sure hope that doesn't happen come hunt weekend."

I also felt a small sense of accomplishment knowing I completely slipped by the handler and his dog with out even knowing he was there.  It was only the two guys waiting at the gate that found me.
    Never had an experience like that with the k-9. Kinda makes me chuckle. I have had lots of my experiences with runins all up and down the east coast with them waiting for me at my vehicle. I ended up getting a warning ticket in Maryland one time for leaving my treestand in woods but thats it. Down here I addressed the lady Leo as sir the first time, dont wanna run into her again.

Little off topic but I dare to say theres alot of k-9 and their partners who are completely lost doing what they do... both human and dog combined. I can just imagine that guy and his dog out their running one big circle jerk and dog was trailing a bunny from yesterday or another female dog that ran through the day before 😄. When I was locked up I was trustee for most of my sentence. 3 different times they brought the k-9 dog in to sniff out drugs. True story we were sitting in the laundry room i was perched on the counter and this sheriff amd his dog come in and search the laundry bags. Under neath one of the tiles on the floor there was a dug out hole we kept all our weed in and this dig steps right on it nose to the ground and kept on going. Completely clueless. I could smell it whenever the tile got popped up. 
    Funny but that's one I'd keep for the campfire and not so much on the interwebs.
    Funny but that's one I'd keep for the campfire and not so much on the interwebs.
    To each their own. This is the campfire in my book. 
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,920 Captain
    Mostly all positive experiences with fwc officers, except a couple newbies taking their authority to far. I always show them respect and appreciate the job they do. Had a fwc this year with a flat tire at a popular wma, he and his wife were hunting and I had no idea that he was an officer.They were  at the check station ( both wearing camo)and asked if I had a tire iron , he didn’t have one. I dug mine out of the back seat for him to borrow. When he was done I offered him a cold beer for him and his wife and they took it and thanked me,also gave one to the check station attendant….. when I came back the next day the attendant told me he was an officer….

Had a bad experience with a federal officer at sta1 once, came over banging his flashlight on my window in the dark as we were waiting in line to leave. Made us unload the truck, while checking the plugs he had the gun at a44 degree angle to the ground facing my direction! I had to tell him to turn around and don’t point the gun in my direction…. Was nasty from the moment he came up to the truck.