Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Need help filling tackle box for SWFL (inshore/nearshore)

Just moved to SWFL and hope to do as much fishing as I can, both from land/pier, but also boat (inshore/nearshore).  All of my tackle is geared toward fishing in the northeast US (NJ), so I need some advice in re-building my tackle box/bag with SWFL tackle: Lures, soft plastics, hooks, weights, and terminal tackle and lines.

So far from my experience, I know I need to buy some #2 and #3 circle hooks.  Should these be offset?  #2/0 or #3/0?

Any swivels or clips necessary, or tie everything to a mono leader tied onto my braid?

Leader I am guessing 20-30 lb.

My rod/reel set ups are 7 ft M and MH with Daiwa BG 3000 and 4000 with 20 and 30 lb braid.

Thanks a bunch for your advice!

Replies

• Fisherman007Fisherman007 Tampa BayPosts: 139 Deckhand
    The 7' M/MH Daiwa BG 3000/4000 are what I use.  No swivels or clips unless offshore (tie directly braid/floro).  I use #1/#2 hooks as well.  Paddle tails, skirted jigs (spros), spoons, shallow lip seem to work for most people.  Personally I prefer to castnet whitebait though.
  • JerseyBlue732JerseyBlue732 Posts: 41 Deckhand
    The 7' M/MH Daiwa BG 3000/4000 are what I use.  No swivels or clips unless offshore (tie directly braid/floro).  I use #1/#2 hooks as well.  Paddle tails, skirted jigs (spros), spoons, shallow lip seem to work for most people.  Personally I prefer to castnet whitebait though.
    Thanks!  What size spros and spoons?
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,020 Officer
    edited January 8 #4
    A selection of jigheads from 1/8-3/4 oz, a couple bags of soft plastics (mix of paddletails, Lil Johns, and flukes), a walk-the-dog style topwater or two (I like a Spook Jr. or Yo-Zuri Topknock in chrome or bone), and a couple white or brown bucktails (like the Spro ones) from 1/4-3/4 oz will cover 98% of what I usually need to use in terms of lures. Throw in a 4" Johnson silver or gold spoon, a couple Livetarget or other swimbaits, and some weighted worm hooks for weedless rigging too. Color of the soft plastics is mostly irrelevant IMO outside of being generally dark or generally light, I just use white or brown/red.

I'd have a bunch of different flurorocarbon or mono leaders (I regularly use 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, and 50 lb inshore, but 25 lb most often), a few egg sinkers from 0.25-1.5 oz, some small barrel swivels, and one of those multi-packs of various sizes of split shot sinkers. Hooks from #2 to 3/0 will also cover nearly every need you'll have when fishing the rods and reels you mentioned, though you'll want larger if you fish heavier gear for tarpon or large snook.

Would also get a good pair of pliers, a small knife that's easy to keep sharpened to cut bait or whatever else you need, and a pair of braid scissors or line clippers. If you plan to keep fish, a small stringer and measuring stick/tape are good additions.

Recently did a long-overdue clean out of my inshore tackle box, throwing out rusty stuff and things I couldn't see myself using anymore. Came to the conclusion that I only really use 3 or 4 different lures for 90% of the time that I fish artificial, so don't stress about not having a certain specific thing for every situation. A jighead + soft plastic, topwater plug, and a selection of hooks/weights will get you where you need to go in most scenarios.

Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.