Skip to main content
Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Wahoo are out there...

dontezumadontezuma MemberPosts: 341 Deckhand
My AWESOME neighbor invited me out on his 26' Sailfish CC for some high-speed trolling yesterday.  Obviously, I canceled all my plans.  My daughter has a birthday every year, and so is our anniversary.  My son's playoff game, well, that will probably happen again, but we're talking about FISHING!

Just kidding.  I had no plans.  Good thing, though, because FISHING!

Anyway, we left Beach Marine before 4 and were trolling at the ledge by 6:45.  No luck on the high-speed trolling at all, so we started bottom fishing.  We got some beeliners and a nice trigger and moved in.  On the way to Casablanca, my buddy spotted a pole floating vertically in the water, so we cruise over. We take a few pitches at it. I had a slow pitch jig rod. As soon as the lure got about 20 feet down, it got hammered.

I see a silver flash by the pole, and it takes off left, then turns on a dime and rips right, behind the pole.  It pushes the pole over and as the line pops free of the pole, I have a heart attack as the line goes slack, but then tightens back up immediately, and it's on.  I have the drag set pretty heavy, and I can't stop it.  It's got that tuna-like thrumming feel, so I thought it was a big blackfin.  After a few heavy runs, I eventually get a quick view of him, and I see the long thick body and tiger stripes, and I know it's a wahoo.  Eric put a perfect gaff on him and into the boat he goes.  

I caught 7 different species on that slow-pitch jig on that trip.  I'll definitely be carrying that on every trip. 

Replies