Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Coaching Carousel - who is going where

cadmancadman Senior MemberPosts: 43,205 AG
Decided to give it its own topic with all the changes likely.

Florida hire Bill Napier

USC hires Lincoln Riley. 

Bob Stoops is Oklahoma's interim coach. Does he take the job full time?

LSU still looking. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Senior Member FLPosts: 29,867 AG
    It's an annual event. I like watching NCAA football but hate the process.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Senior Member Posts: 3,843 Captain
    Riley seems like a great hire.  UF coach looks promising too. 

Stoops should stay if possible. Not too many better jobs than OU. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Senior Member GrovelandPosts: 16,680 AG
    I imagine Lane Kiffin goes somewhere he's done a great job at Ole Miss.   LSU maybe?   I still don't get why they let Orgeron go but oh well.
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • cadmancadman Senior Member Posts: 43,205 AG

Supposedly only two coaching jobs could get Stoops out of retirement, Oklahoma or Notre Dame. But he didn't want to go back into coaching until his son graduates. One of his sons is a Redshirt junior for Oklahoma. I don't think he wants to be the coach while his son is on the team. but this might change his mind. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:

Supposedly only two coaching jobs could get Stoops out of retirement, Oklahoma or Notre Dame. But he didn't want to go back into coaching until his son graduates. One of his sons is a Redshirt junior for Oklahoma. I don't think he wants to be the coach while his son is on the team. but this might change his mind. 
    I'm wondering why Lincoln took the USC job.  Oklahoma has been better over the past decade and he's been recruiting for years for that program as well.   I can see LSU because you can really recruit some talent there and make a run.   But USC?  I dont' see it. 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Senior Member Posts: 3,906 Captain
    Easier to make playoff every year in pac 12 than SEC, my humble opinion. 
    Tony Roma said:
    But Oklahoma is in the Big 12 their biggest hurdles are Baylor and Oklahoma State every year.   I'd rather play them than Oregon every year. 
    cadman said:

I'm wondering why Lincoln took the USC job.  Oklahoma has been better over the past decade and he's been recruiting for years for that program as well.   I can see LSU because you can really recruit some talent there and make a run.   But USC?  I dont' see it. 
    Surprised me as well. I understood he made about $7.5 mil at Oklahoma and LSU offered him $12 mil a year. I am surprised USC was able to compete with that. 

But some sportswriters think it was because Oklahoma was going to the SEC and he was not a fan of the move. Maybe why he turned down LSU. Some coaches do not want the pressure of competing in the SEC every year. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

Tony Roma said:
    But Oklahoma is in the Big 12 their biggest hurdles are Baylor and Oklahoma State every year.   I'd rather play them than Oregon every year. 
    See my post above Oklahoma is moving to the SEC in the next few years. Earley as 2023 or as late as 2025. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

Ahhh Gotcha.   I USC is a great school i'm sure he'll turn the program around.  I just liked beating up on them lately because Notre Dame is doing pretty well.  Not a top 4 team this year if we make the playoff i'll be surprised.   But Man once that oline came together things clicked pretty well.  Hard to be upset over 11-1 seasons every year and a top 10 program every year.   Brian Kelly has done a phenomenal job I hope he stays with Notre Dame another 10 years. 
    Now sources are reporting that LSU is going after Brian Kelly

https://theathletic.com/news/lsu-targeting-notre-dame-head-coach-brian-kelly-for-vacancy-sources/Fm1dz9JcG9Sn/

I doubt it, but who knows.

Former Mini Mart Magnate

• 2amigo2amigo Senior Member Delray BeachPosts: 8,808 Admiral
    edited November 2021 #13
    cadman said:

https://theathletic.com/news/lsu-targeting-notre-dame-head-coach-brian-kelly-for-vacancy-sources/Fm1dz9JcG9Sn/

So let's say Kelly does go to LSU, Urban Meyer always talked about coaching at Notre Dame awhile ago.  Wonder if there is any possibility his ego takes him there if ND ups the salary. 

"Meyer is a devout Roman Catholic and on several occasions has referred to the head coaching position at the University of Notre Dame as his "dream job,"

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Senior Member FLPosts: 29,867 AG
    2amigo said:
    cadman said:

So let's say Kelly does go to LSU, Urban Meyer always talked about coaching at Notre Dame awhile ago.  Wonder if there is any possibility his ego takes him there if ND ups the salary. 

"Meyer is a devout Roman Catholic (who likes to fondle chicks at bars) and on several occasions has referred to the head coaching position at the University of Notre Dame as his "dream job,"

Minor correction.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • wynnvwynnv Senior Member JacksonvillePosts: 1,020 Officer
    Mister-Jr said:
    2amigo said:
    cadman said:

"Meyer is a devout Roman Catholic (who likes to fondle chicks at bars) and on several occasions has referred to the head coaching position at the University of Notre Dame as his "dream job,"

Minor correction.
    (who likes to fondle chicks at bars) ....my question to you is...who doesnt?
    wynnv said:
    Mister-Jr said:
    2amigo said:
    cadman said:

Minor correction.
    (who likes to fondle chicks at bars) ....my question to you is...who doesnt?
    If his wife or the lady ain't upset, nobody else should be. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

Gators are trying to get either Jim Knowles or Doug Belk to be Defensive Coordinator. Another great hire if they can pull it off. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

LSU is supposed to announce Brian Kelly is the new coach tomorrow. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

If that’s true it’s gonna be a lot of money, not sure if Kelley has any ties to the south. Will be a culture shock for him for sure. I kinda think that was Mullen’s problem , southern just didn’t get him. 
  • GrizGriz Administrator Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,951 Admin
    I heard Kelly as well.  
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • wynnvwynnv Senior Member JacksonvillePosts: 1,020 Officer
    Its being reported around 10 mil a year for Kelly plus incentives. I saw one report that said close to 15 a year.
    Rumor was Riley got 12 mil, they bought both his houses in Oklahoma for 500k over market value , building him a 6 mil house and he gets exclusive use of the private jet. All rumor but sounds good enough to leave. 
    Stoops wants to coach again. If Kelly goes to LSU as expected, both of his dream jobs are open. 

But ND is a lot of coaches dream job for some reason. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

wynnv said:
    Its being reported around 10 mil a year for Kelly plus incentives. I saw one report that said close to 15 a year.
    CBS sports is reporting $15 mil a year, ten year contract. 

Riley was #$12 mil for 8 years. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

• mrblugilmrblugil Senior Member Ft MyersPosts: 954 Officer
    reports out of La,$100 mil plus,buy a lot of mud bugs with that
    It's a sad day to be a Notre Dame fan.   Kelly really built that team into the best version of itself it could be.   I dont' see us ever being as good as we have been the past 10 years.   Always right in the mix with the top 5-6 programs in the country while having the highest academic standards of them all.    I don't think i'll see another run like that again. 
    edited November 2021 #27
    LSU just announced Kelly's hire. It is really $9.5 mil a year for 10 years. That is in line with what they offered Riley and Jimbo. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

He'll never enjoy the success he had at Notre Dame.  Not in the SEC with Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M, Auburn, ole miss.   Anyone can beat you on any given Saturday.   His recruiting will be tougher but he'll be able to get the players he wants easier than ND.   
    I don't think he'll have the same success he had at LSU and I am not confident at all that ND will have the kind of success the had with him.  
  • VolFanVolFan Junior Member HomosassaPosts: 90 Deckhand
    Just think, a coach that finishes 3rd in the SEC west each year will be making over 9 million a year.
    VolFan said:
    Just think, a coach that finishes 3rd in the SEC west each year will be making over 9 million a year.
    Coaching is big $$ these days  
    I think he felt he could never get over the hump at Notre Dame with the higher academic standards. If Coach O could get a ring there he can.