Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

The Climb That Started It All

gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,828 Captain
I'd done some hiking and climbing over the years, esp. in Idaho, and even taught Rock Climbing between teaching Scuba classes in 1975-'76, but never really got into it.  Then, for some reason, in 2002 the bug bit me....and it bit hard.  Here's the story....still a favorite memory:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YpUyMJBqSXj9aycWGKc-FYVQhjx3NDQM-8XAQ7RWWok/edit?usp=sharing

Replies

• GardawgGardawg Senior Member IslamoradaPosts: 16,429 AG
    My legs are rubbery just from reading that 

Nice Pics

Great Climb

Thanks.
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,828 Captain
    edited November 2021 #3
    Thanks.  That wasn't my biggest climb, but sure was the hardest/most difficult.  What a memory that is.  What a beautiful place.
  • stc1993stc1993 Senior Member Posts: 10,430 AG
    That's a lot of walking.  It hurts me to walk the 3 blocks to the çurb store and back.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Moderator Posts: 25,081 Moderator
    Great story and, yes, my legs feel a little weak right now.  :)

Thank you.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

How do y'all think I felt when so many "ran" past me, way up there ??  Many were young women.  They aren't s'posed to be able to Do that.....but they did.

I talked to one very attractive young lady who'd rode the tram up and was waiting for her boyfriend, who'd started at the bottom of the mountain much earlier.  From there, they would summit the peak together.  He made a frequent habit of climbing the entire <11,000 ft by himself - no tram.  I was bombed after climbing ~2,200 ft.

I surely do love climbing now, tho'.  There's nothing quite like the feeling when you top out on a difficult summit.....and they're mostly difficult.  You take in a huge breath and you own the world.  It's addictive.  All are beautiful.
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 7,312 Admiral
    edited November 2021 #7
    Wow, love the Bob Hope house pics. 

I watch adventure documentaries whenever I can to pass the time on the trainer in the basement and your story reminded me of this guy.

Check it out on streaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05RiYBruHpU

Dirtbag The Legend of Fred Beckey

edited November 2021 #8
    Wow, love the Bob Hope house pics. 

I watch adventure documentaries whenever I can to pass the time on the trainer in the basement and your story reminded me of this guy.

Check it out on streaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05RiYBruHpU

That guy's at a whole 'nuther level above me.  Something to see.

I asked around some to try and find out about that smaller in-the-ground place/thing below Hope's house and no one I spoke with had even noticed it, let alone know anything about it.

Storage ??  Basement ??  Guest house ??  Bomb shelter ??  Stilll don't know.