Home Photography Corner

Anyone have a Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm Lens

JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 9,716 Moderator
I have a 75-300 canon lens for my Canon EOS 4000D

Looking for more distance..

Any personal experience with either brand.

Replies

• gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,467 Captain
    Before spending that kind of money, do a google search of teleconverters and read customer reviews.  I did - a lot - and after a lot of thought, I bought the Kenko 1.4X converter.  I have the Tamron 18-270 on my Nikon D300s, so it gives me 378mm equivalent.  Picture quality is surprisingly good.  It'll give you a good idea of how the thing handles at higher mags....you may well decide not to go stronger.

A 150-600mm lens is a big, expensive hunk of iron with limited use.  The TC fits in a pocket.

Higher strengths - 1.8X & 2X don't seem to have the quality, according to reviews, but do the homework.  You'll need a very solid tripod and believe me, you'll want a light weight one.  My Manfrotto wears me out after a mile or 2.....even with a sling, they're awkward to carry.  The camera is almost impossible to hold steady at those magnifications.  500mm is 10X....and you know what it's like hand holding a rifle with 10X scope on a 300 yd target, eh ??

The Nikon B700 I use now for a primary camera has a 60X zoom and it's completely impractical.  For me, anything over about 20X is a waste.  Neat gee-whiz factor but not so good in the field.

This is my 2nd Tamron higher magnification lens - the other is on my old Nikon F2.  Both are rock solid, quality products.
  • WB DrifterWB Drifter Posts: 234 Deckhand
    The old-timers that are gone or not posting here anymore would usually suggest renting one as the best way to decide what to get. What you get out of it depends on how you use it. In general, the Sigma would be considered better than the Tamron, but Tamron lenses aren't bad either. Matching a Canon lens with a Canon body is the moral equivalent of how Apple devices use Apple or Apple-approved peripherals. It keeps the club small and reduces compatibility issues.

I had the Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 and the Canon EF 100-400MM F/4.5-5.6L on a Canon EOS 70D. I liked the Canon lens better even though it was the old "push, pull" type of zoom.

I currently have a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E and a Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III being used on a Nikon D7200 or a Nikon D7500. I also have a Tamron Tamron 18-400mm F/3.5-6.3 which gets used as a "carry around lens" on the D7500 ~ for convenience.

The list of lenses and cameras above is just to establish a dash of relevance to the following. Shooting long glass really "brings into focus" concepts like needing a faster shutter speed when shooting moving objects. To get a higher shutter speed you need more light. To get more light you need a lens with a lower with a "lower f-stop rating" or to shoot at a higher ISO setting. Using a good tripod for stationary objects will let you use a lower shutter speed, which lets more light into the camera. What you are trying to do is to reduce motion blur. That blur can come from a moving object or camera movement. Image stabilization helps, but selecting the right camera settings and shooter techniques usually helps more.

[SIGPIC] You are only allowed 0 images. [/SIGPIC]
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 9,716 Moderator
    gogittum said:
    Before spending that kind of money, do a google search of teleconverters and read customer reviews.  I did - a lot - and after a lot of thought, I bought the Kenko 1.4X converter.  I have the Tamron 18-270 on my Nikon D300s, so it gives me 378mm equivalent.  Picture quality is surprisingly good.  It'll give you a good idea of how the thing handles at higher mags....you may well decide not to go stronger.

A 150-600mm lens is a big, expensive hunk of iron with limited use.  The TC fits in a pocket.

Higher strengths - 1.8X & 2X don't seem to have the quality, according to reviews, but do the homework.  You'll need a very solid tripod and believe me, you'll want a light weight one.  My Manfrotto wears me out after a mile or 2.....even with a sling, they're awkward to carry.  The camera is almost impossible to hold steady at those magnifications.  500mm is 10X....and you know what it's like hand holding a rifle with 10X scope on a 300 yd target, eh ??

The Nikon B700 I use now for a primary camera has a 60X zoom and it's completely impractical.  For me, anything over about 20X is a waste.  Neat gee-whiz factor but not so good in the field.

This is my 2nd Tamron higher magnification lens - the other is on my old Nikon F2.  Both are rock solid, quality products.

I looked at Teleconverters  but was wondering if they worked?

It depends on the lens and how you're using it. I'm not like most who use them. I like it shooting from a tripod for mp4 videos on the D7500. It can fill the frame and get you up close and personal. I also like using the long glass for close-up shots. It's the moral equivalent to shooting fish in a barrel.

For what I think you'd want to use it for, I don't think you'd get that much out of it.

It's just a personal observation/opinion, but the difference between 500mm and 600mm doesn't get you that much more of a usable "closeup" / uncropped image at long range. You'd be better getting a decent, clear shot and making up the difference by cropping the shot when you edit it. A quick glance at a Canon 4000D shows it to be a crop sensor with a crop factor of 1.6x. That's basically like taking a "full-frame" sensor and enlarging it 1.6 times.
    The zoom ratio of a 150-600mm lens would be 600 / 150 = 4X. The 75-300 would be 300 / 75 = 4X. The minimum focal length to get 10X from a lens with a maximum focal length of 500mm would be 50mm. That would be something like the Sigma 50mm-500mm which is actually a pretty good lens given the trade-offs for that zoom ratio.

It's discontinued though ....
    .... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682769-USA/Sigma_738110_50_500mm_f_4_5_6_3_DG_OS.html

Here is one of the "old-timers" - mississippi mac - writing about the Sigma 150-600mm.
    .... https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/comment/2796804#Comment_2796804
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 9,716 Moderator
    The zoom ratio of a 150-600mm lens would be 600 / 150 = 4X. The 75-300 would be 300 / 75 = 4X. The minimum focal length to get 10X from a lens with a maximum focal length of 500mm would be 50mm. That would be something like the Sigma 50mm-500mm which is actually a pretty good lens given the trade-offs for that zoom ratio.

.... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682769-USA/Sigma_738110_50_500mm_f_4_5_6_3_DG_OS.html

Here is one of the "old-timers" - mississippi mac - writing about the Sigma 150-600mm.
    .... https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/comment/2796804#Comment_2796804

Thanks!!!!

I remember MIss. Mac.... Been a while.

I talked to the person that is sort of mentoring me..... She thinks I should slow down... Learn to use what I have, then start thinking about lenses and possibly new camera bodies....
    I have to agree that is a good idea....

When I get interested in something, I want to run with it FAST.... MACH 2 with my hair on fire.
    It tends to make me very impulsive.... I could end up with a bunch of equipment on my hands that really does not fit my use or needs.

• JWTJWT Posts: 786 Officer
    i have the Sigma 150-600 & use it a lot. i shoot hand held almost exclusively & as long as there is decent light, can run a fast enough shutter speed to minimize any motion blur. i let the ISO float & deal with any excessive noise in post processing. they are excellent lenses & reasonable priced for what you get. they are big & heavy etc, but they will get you up close! i played with teleconverters but wasn't happy with the IQ. your results may vary. 
    edited November 27 #9
    Contemporary or sports version, what camera and what editing software?
    I was asking for JB's benefit. I think Mac shot Canons. Flash would probably know.

I like the advice JB mentioned above. I think he'd be better served to spend more time in post-processing. What do you think?
  • JWTJWT Posts: 786 Officer
    i have the contemporary. the heft on the sport was just too much. even the lighter one is still a handfull. currently it's on 7DII. for post, there are a bunch of options. i use PS Elements with a couple plugins from Nik & Topaz. 
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,726 AG
    I was asking for JB's benefit. I think Mac shot Canons. Flash would probably know.

I like the advice JB mentioned above. I think he'd be better served to spend more time in post-processing. What do you think?

Yes he did. He like that pukey grey color.  ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield