Home General Hunting

Turkey Day Dinner

MaineRidaMaineRida Posts: 254 Deckhand
Only two of us for Turkey Day this year so the menu is short but still a lot of food:
Turkey (Smoker), Stuffing, Mashed Potato, Butternut Squash, Green Beans, Rolls, Gravy, Cranberry Sauce (Wife)
Followed by: Apple Pie (Vanilla Ice-cream), Pecan Pie, Banana Cream Pie, Cool Whip...
I see an aching belly and a nap in my future....

And you?

Replies

• josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 900 Officer
    Oven Roasted Turkey, Cornbread Stuffing, Broccoli Casserole, Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Summer Squash, Cranberry Sauce, Rolls, and Giblet Gravy.

And just a simple Pumpkin pie.

I better get to prepping though if we're going to be eating anything.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,283 Captain
    I am remembering Thanksgiving mornings that started with hunting with my Dad, then a large family gathering that began around 2 PM and went on in the early morning day after Thanksgiving day.
    A wonderful Feast, never since replicated. 
    The original Gathering persons have largely passed on, others appear.
    Last year it was just my wife and I...... kinda cool too. 
    The menu, thankfully, remains the same as you, Josh have described.
    A fresh caught fish, fall legal Turkey, hog or Venison on the Thanksgiving table would be nice however I don’t get serious about Deer until December.
    I give Thanks for what’s ahead. 

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,681 Admiral
    edited November 25 #4
    Huge Shrimp several ways...4 Lobster tails for 2 of us...Stuffed Clams... 2 New York Strip Steaks ...Several Beers and a little Weed...Watch the Deer in the yard
    I was out on Highway 19 my road to Town and folks were passing me by at 60 MPH ..In Town..
    Tampa and Tallahassee headed North and South at rocket Speed.
    Made me nervous Been a long time since I drove in crazy south Florida traffic.
    Had to go home and hide for 4 or 5 days till the City Folk get where they're going.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • MaineRidaMaineRida Posts: 254 Deckhand
    FloridaOD said:
    I am remembering Thanksgiving mornings that started with hunting with my Dad, then a large family gathering that began around 2 PM and went on in the early morning day after Thanksgiving day.
    A wonderful Feast, never since replicated. 
    The original Gathering persons have largely passed on, others appear.
    Last year it was just my wife and I...... kinda cool too. 
    The menu, thankfully, remains the same as you, Josh have described.
    A fresh caught fish, fall legal Turkey, hog or Venison on the Thanksgiving table would be nice however I don’t get serious about Deer until December.
    I give Thanks for what’s ahead. 

That's similar to what I remember except that we closed down earlier to prepare for hunting the next day... As with you most of the crew is gone and I'm1200 miles away. This coming weekend will be the end of rifle in Maine followed by two weeks of muzzleloader... Then season is done since the deer will start to yard up.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,612 Captain
    I am baking 4 pies tonight. All from hand written great grandmother recipes.
    1 pecan, 2 pumpkin and 1 peanut butter( that was actually my buddies).

Tomorrow is an unconventional delivery of : 
    fresh steamed clams and shrimp scampi, over pasta.
    Caesar salad, french bread and corn casserole.( And pie, there must always be pie..)

My best bud, my mom and my step father have all been very close to leaving this world in the last 3 weeks.
    All are in various stages of recovery now.
    I will be taking these things to them.
    They are all still here. So I am thankful.
    Really Really thankful.

The house is smelling pretty good right now too.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    4WARD, sounds like a great day is planned.  My stepfather is also my best bud.  Hunting and holidays is when the sting is greatest ( he is still on earth but not local).  Glad you’re able to provide them a feast, enjoy the day. 
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 759 Officer
    I was thinking of trying something besides turkey this year. Fried, smoked, or baked? Hmm, I think fried.
    This one is still finding himself, thats another male and he is about 4 months before breeding season. LOL

• harbisonharbison Posts: 5,255 Admiral
    Really special when served by a loving daughter...

We have so much to be thankful for in this great country. 
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,874 Captain
    We have a traditional oven roasted turkey, with ham, and all the fixins every year. My sister in law makes a sausage stuffing that is outstanding…
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    Sausage stuffing made me think of my wife's story as a child growing up in Louisiana they would have oyster stuffing at every holiday meal.. It wasn't till her teens that she found out there was other types of stuffing... She never ate oyster stuffing again  :s
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 759 Officer
    We have a traditional oven roasted turkey, with ham, and all the fixins every year. My sister in law makes a sausage stuffing that is outstanding…
    You gonna eat all that John? Looks great. Have a great dinner
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,874 Captain
    MCSHunter said:
    You gonna eat all that John? Looks great. Have a great dinner
    That was round one!..👌
    Happy Thanksgiving Mike.