Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Campground mosquitos?

Thinking about a trip to Everglades National Park. Two years ago I rented a kayak and had a lot of fun. The campground in Flamingo- I thought it would be right on the water and wind would keep away mosquitos but it is somewhat sheltered.  There is a pine island campground and maybe a few other spots. Is one better than another as far as the skeeters?

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,604 Captain
    edited November 23 #2
    i use to camp down in Flamingo often and sometimes on the backcountry chickees. Bugs were always a problem, especially just before dusk and one or two hours after sunset. Never camped at Pine island since it's quite far from Flamingo but i would think the bugs there would be far less since the salt marsh mosquitoes and no see ems live in the mangrove swamps.

Buy a protective head covering or a complete bug suit. i must have four or five head protective coverings. My first ones were made for bee keepers. I will sell you one for ten bucks.
    Giimoozaabi
  • Lake-LinkerLake-Linker Posts: 158 Deckhand
    Long Pine Key campground is world's away from Flamingo in regards to noseeums. I only go in the winter so skeeters aren't such a big deal at either place. At Flamingo camp out in the open,don't choose a more "private" site near the trees.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,468 Captain
    The advice to stay away from trees is right on the money wherever you are in the 'glades.  Having changed more than a few trailer tires along the road down to Flamingo... I expect lots of 'skeeters - even in daylight - and am rarely disappointed... Loose fitting clothing that covers every square inch of skin is your first defense (both from skeeters and no-see-ums (sand flies - and bug spray doesn't even touch no-see-ums..).  A head net is also a very good idea - if you can put up with it.  Your best bet is to plan on being inside your tent with a proper, fine mesh mosquito screen liner - well before sundown.... Bug spray does work - but try to put it on your  clothes instead of skin if possible... Once a good morning breeze starts up you'll never be bothered by no-see-ums until the end of the day.  After you leave land, if you stay away from shorelines you might not encounter a single mosquito the rest of the day either... unless the wind is blowing from you to the shoreline - then they'll be coming... Wind blowing from the shoreline to you - they'll never know you're there... 

Along with skeeters and no-see-ums keep an eye out for deer flies (that's our local name for a fly that's about the size of a housefly - but has a bite you'll remember).  If one starts trying to land on you - kill it - that's your only defense against them (another bug that ignores bug spray...).  They're sandy colored and will light down on anything while getting ready to come after you again... Flip flops, shorts, and t-shirts in the Park... If you must wear that sort of gear you're braver than I am... By  the way, over the years I've noted that anyone wearing dark colored clothing - is the first target of any mosquitoes so wear light colors if possible... 

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Grumpy?Grumpy? Posts: 115 Deckhand
    This thing works
  • Grumpy?Grumpy? Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Noseems. Are a lesson from God.
    Which is.
    If your gonna be stupid you better be tuff.