Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Big Cypress

MCSHunterMCSHunter Senior MemberPosts: 870 Officer
Went to Big Cypress today to look for one of those Covid deer. ;)

Had to settle for Everglades City and fresh stone crabs  :p

As someone on here says "WINNING"  B)

Replies

• josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 1,189 Officer
    Still a good day in my books. Draw some butter and get to crackin
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Senior Member Real close to the Fakahachee StrandPosts: 11,603 AG
    When I first moved to Chokoloskee Island my Wife got a job at Earnest Hamilton Stone Crab..
    It was 500 Ft. from my front door.
    Lunch sometimes would be a Claw about as big as your forearm.
    My Neighbor was a Crabber and he'd come by about midnight and leave all the undersize and floaters on my porch..I'd leave a case of beer at his porch.
    Now...It's Rich Man food..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • FloridahuntFloridahunt Palm BeachPosts: 300 Deckhand
    I’ll be back in the big cypress next week and I can’t wait for more punishment. I’m thinking of staying overnight but I don’t want to stay in a tent. Anyone sleep overnight in their truck? Seems like cheating but my truck has a pretty big back seat and I think it’ll be comfy.
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Senior Member Posts: 870 Officer
    TRT,
     you are 100% right about being expensive now. After the housing bubble crash in 2008 large were 18lb, yesterday $38lb. My wife and I treat ourselves once or twice a year because they are so delicious.

FLhunt,
     Never did my truck and don't have any plans to do that. I started in a tent on the side of TR road, moved to a pop up, and now if I want to camp I take the travel trailer and generator. And you were spot on about the water level. I may try Deep Lake next week.
  • FloridahuntFloridahunt Palm BeachPosts: 300 Deckhand
    I hope you get one MCS. I got a bad rash on my arm a few weeks ago after a trip to the big cypress. Couldn’t figure what it was at first but I’m pretty sure it’s poison ivy. I used to be immune to the stuff, I guess I’m getting old.

• MaineRidaMaineRida Senior Member Maine & FloridaPosts: 331 Deckhand
    I hope you get one MCS. I got a bad rash on my arm a few weeks ago after a trip to the big cypress. Couldn’t figure what it was at first but I’m pretty sure it’s poison ivy. I used to be immune to the stuff, I guess I’m getting old.

I never had allergies or was bothered by poison ivy.  Had a cousin that was allergic when we were kids and I would pick it and chase him with the stuff, now I don't go near it as I sneeze and sniff from pollen and chit....
  • PinmanPinman Senior Member Posts: 3,665 Captain
    I’ll be back in the big cypress next week and I can’t wait for more punishment. I’m thinking of staying overnight but I don’t want to stay in a tent. Anyone sleep overnight in their truck? Seems like cheating but my truck has a pretty big back seat and I think it’ll be comfy.
    I have folded down the back seats and pushed a tri-fold mattress from Costco in there. Cant stretch out but have slept that way before.  A $30 nylon backpacker hammock is great if its not too hot and the skeeters are out...
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Senior Member WellingtonPosts: 1,778 Captain
    Although I did it a hundred times, I hated sleeping in my truck.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!