Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Replies

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,890 Captain
    Hope they find him safe on an island. Water can be such an unforgiving medium. 
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Senior Member S. FlaPosts: 1,717 Captain
    Many people overestimate their ability to swim any distance. Every boater shulld take a drown proofing course. i took course years ago that taught a person how to survive with your hands and feet tied together. (Obvioulsy we simulated the bonds; Our hands were just clasped behind our back). We also had to swim just 20 feet and survive for 15 minutes in a deep pool of cold water. it wasn't that difficult, but took concentration and timing. Several guys could not do it. We learned several other methods of staying alive in water without the aid of manufactured PFD's. 
    Giimoozaabi
  • cranker789cranker789 Senior Member MiamiPosts: 530 Officer
    Wow, gotta be careful out there, hope he’s alright. Wear your life vests ! 
  • conchydongconchydong Senior Member Posts: 13,935 AG
    I am not a kayaker but I would wear a PFD at all times if I were.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Wra22Wra22 Senior Member Posts: 237 Deckhand
    I fish from a kayak a lot. I always wear a pdf when in my kayak no matter how shallow or close to shore. I am not likely to just fall out.  If I find myself suddenly swimming, odds are I have been hit by a boat or a jet ski or something has occurred that impairs my ability to swim. The kayaker can be knocked out by impact. Once you are in the water wind and current can separate you from the kayak very quickly. Why take the risk?
  • krashkrash Senior Member Cooper City , floridaPosts: 857 Officer
    There was this week a guy fishing a Coconut Creek private lake in a housing development, in his canoe, lost for a few days.. yesterday the found his body floating after a few days. Apparently no pfd.
    Story
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 301 Deckhand
    Wra22 said:
    I fish from a kayak a lot. I always wear a pdf when in my kayak no matter how shallow or close to shore. I am not likely to just fall out.  If I find myself suddenly swimming, odds are I have been hit by a boat or a jet ski or something has occurred that impairs my ability to swim. The kayaker can be knocked out by impact. Once you are in the water wind and current can separate you from the kayak very quickly. Why take the risk?
    This^  Vest stays on me at all times. I have been kayak fishing 10 years and never flipped, but don't trust the boats on the water to see me.
    My YouTube channel: JakeW KayakFishing
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Senior Member Fort LauderdalePosts: 4,179 Captain
    I have a PLB on my life vest, and also wear it all the time.  A Personal Locator Beacon is a worthwhile investment if one fishes offshore on a kayak.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Senior Member S. FlaPosts: 1,717 Captain
    edited November 2021 #10
    A PLB is good investment for anyone on the water and maybe even on a bridge.  
    (i have witnessed two differeant people uninteionally go into the water off high bridges; And neither incident was a slip and fall)
    Giimoozaabi