Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Crystal River Grouper Skunk 11/13 and 11/14

diverdandiverdan jacksonville flPosts: 38 Deckhand
Tried my first grouper trip and came up with the skunk! Conditions were a little tough for my lack of knowledge and 14' whaler LOL. Saturday morning ran out in the fog and got rained on for about an hour. Cleared up nice though and looked around some shallow 6-8' spots found a few rocks but floating grass was so bad trolling was not an option(unless I over estimate how grass deters bites but it seemed like blades everywhere and would be on the plug within minutes, is it worth trolling a plug with grass or can you shake it off). Pitched a swimbait and some shrimp but only small fish on shrimp. Ran out about 6-8 miles W of gomez rocks area to the crab traps in 18-20' but grass was still too bad to troll. Tried jigging a few areas that looked good with no luck, was tempted to run further out but not comfortable being out of cell range.

On the run in found two really nice looking spots about 11-12' of water with a big depression about 100 yards across that varied from 16-20' with what looked like rocky edges and a few rocks in the depression. Ran to that area sunday but it was pretty windy from the N/NW. Grass was bad again so tried drifting and jiggin with only a lizard and grass bass. Ran back out to the trap area but still some grass so called it a day. Wish I had a better report but finding a few potential spots was fun, super cool area wish I had the courage to try the back country/outer islands for snook but didnt want to hit anything back there. 

Replies

• ElapidElapid Junior Member Posts: 145 Deckhand
    that's how you get started. you will gain more experience and knowledge with each trip, then when you have that epic day you will be on top of the world. keep it up!
  • diverdandiverdan jacksonville flPosts: 38 Deckhand
    Elapid said:
    that's how you get started. you will gain more experience and knowledge with each trip, then when you have that epic day you will be on top of the world. keep it up!
    For sure, I heard a good quote I think flip pallet said, if someone sold you a spot you could always catch fish for $5 than any fish you catch is worth $5 LOL but if you put in time and effort when you get that fish it will be worth a lot more! P
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Senior Member Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,981 Captain
    When the weeds are too bad to troll, anchoring seems to be the best alternative for grouper. I used to drop a marker on the rocks I wanted to fish and then anchored so that I could fish around it. Learning this area is a time investment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • diverdandiverdan jacksonville flPosts: 38 Deckhand
    When the weeds are too bad to troll, anchoring seems to be the best alternative for grouper. I used to drop a marker on the rocks I wanted to fish and then anchored so that I could fish around it. Learning this area is a time investment.
    I need to get better at that, with the water being dirty it was hard to get in position with wind and tide since some spots are pretty small. Do you think the marker scares the fish or maybe if at first they come back?
  • RevJoeyFitzRevJoeyFitz North FLPosts: 211 Deckhand
    Had a similar experience Friday out of Yankee Town. Went out with aspirations for some grouper. Trolled marking bigger fish. No takers. Found some rocky stuff, but nothing but grunts and sea bass. Did find a great spot to catch pinfish though 😅
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Senior Member Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,981 Captain
    diverdan said:
    I need to get better at that, with the water being dirty it was hard to get in position with wind and tide since some spots are pretty small. Do you think the marker scares the fish or maybe if at first they come back?
    I never felt that the marker bothered the fish. One trick you can use for anchoring is to drop popcorn in the water to give you a line to the marker and for dropping your anchor. 

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,873 Moderator
    You'll get it dialed in. Weeds always seem to be exactly over the spot you want to fish ? 
    Nowhere else , just there.
    "You'll get your weather"