Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Steinhatchee Scalloping Early vs Late Season

th19999th19999 Junior MemberPosts: 260 Deckhand
So I am planning a scalloping trip in Steinhatchee in summer 2022 with a few families. I am personally in charge of making all reservations and arrangements. If I personally don't do the planning, the trip will never happen and it will be all talk!  

I have done scalloping 4 times over the years, all in Steinhatchee.

Usually the scallop season begins June 15 through Labor Day. I know that opening day/weekend is kind of crazy there. So I was thinking of going a few weeks later or so. Also as we have kids we need to go during summer break (school usually begins in the first week of August).

I know that the scallops continue to grow throughout the season.

Any of you guys with more experience have any thoughts on scalloping early vs mid season?

Also we will probably go during the work week and planning on three full days on the water.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• chuckychucky Junior Member Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    You should consider that the limit for scallops in Steinhatchee in June is 1 gallon per person.  In July it becomes 2 gallons per person. You are correct they do get bigger as the season goes on.
  • SlackerSlacker Senior Member Homosassa, JaxPosts: 1,815 Captain
    I like quarter moons for slower moving tides

I also would avoid the first week of the season

I think after a month of pressure they are thinned out

get reservations soon, they will book up

I like to fish in am and scallop when the crew starts to mutiny, so a midday low tide is ideal
  • NobelNobel Junior Member ALTAMONTE SPRINGSPosts: 82 Deckhand
    If one gallon per person, 5 gallon max is sufficient for you, I'd go during the first few weeks.   We have gone during that time every year.  Midweek isn't that bad at all.   If you'd rather be able to get the full 10 gallons then I'd go as close to July 1 as possible.   The later in the year you wait, the greater chance you risk the water clarity being ruined by heavy rains or a hurricane.   It was hardly worth going to steinhatchee last year after that storm storm came through right after July 4th.   If you get lucky and the water clarity doesn't get messed up throughout the season, then you'll get bigger ones later that will usually make up for the lack in quantity over early season.   I'd still place my chances on earlier the better prevailing.