Home General Freshwater Fishing

How to Use Lipless Crankbaits for Bass

Nicholas_Marrero14Nicholas_Marrero14 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
edited November 2021 in General Freshwater Fishing #1
I have been bass fishing several years now, but my lure of choice has always been Senkos and other soft plastic worms. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on lipless crankbaits, such as how to work them and where to use them? I have a few, I just do not know how to use them.

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,372 Moderator
    You may get a better response if you post this in the Freshwater section of the forum
  • jt904jt904 Central FloridaPosts: 127 Deckhand
    Use them where you don't have a lot of weeds obviously, i like to "yo-yo" them, reel it in kinda quick then let it fall back down the water column, then reel again, then let it fall. most of the time it will get eaten on the fall. you can straight retrieve it, give a few pops ever couple turns. Burn it fast or bring it back slow. Just get out there and play around with it, try different retrieves until you start catching fish, then remember how you worked it and repeat. 
    176 Key West Stealth 

• Nicholas_Marrero14Nicholas_Marrero14 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thank you for your response, I will try that next time. I know I got a gar to chase it one time, but other than that have seen no action with it. 
  • Nicholas_Marrero14Nicholas_Marrero14 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Jack Hexter: I will be sure to do that next time, thank you for letting me know.
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 250 Deckhand
    What jt904 said. Try various retrieves and see what they want. I have always liked using the yo yo action. Pull back on the rod, reel the slack and repeat. 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,666 Moderator
    You may get a better response if you post this in the Freshwater section of the forum
    I tried , can't seem to figure out why it won't move ?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,666 Moderator
    Thing is , no wrong way. Most of the time I used a straight retrieve and adjust speed depending on depth I want to fish it. Snatching off of grass is great as is the yo-yo deal.  Try to be open minded.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Amelia_BelliAmelia_Belli United StatesPosts: 11 Deckhand

Diving crankbaits are usually best utilized with a steady retrieve, but lipless crankbaits are altogether more versatile. They can be fished in any water depth due to their sinking nature (though most anglers prefer to fish them in about 10 feet of water or less), and the absence of a lip makes vertical movement in the water a practical and often deadly approach.

Seasonally, the patterns vary. A slow-rolling presentation is a great one for prespawn bass. In the summer, when aquatic grasses are most abundant and fully formed, lipless crankbaits are great for ripping atop and along the edges of grass. They can be cast a long distance and burned back to the boat, which is popular in the fall. Even in late fall and winter, lipless crankbaits can be fished with a lift-fall retrieve or various other ways successfully. 

When targeting deeper fish, counting down to a desired depth and then utilizing a straight retrieve can keep a lipless crankbait in the strike zone for a long period of time. Another method for drawing big reaction strikes is yo-yoing the plug up and down through the water column, or on and off the bottom. 

In the summer, when aquatic grasses are most abundant and fully formed, lipless crankbaits are great for ripping atop and along the edges of grass. They can be cast a long distance and burned back to the boat, which is popular in the fall.

The most common location to fish a lipless crankbait is around submerged vegetation such as milfoil and hydrilla. Fish relate to underwater grasses all times of year.
    Fishing is Love