Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Hot Gag bite! Multiple trip report 40-60' Hudson

clarosaclarosa Senior Membertampa, flPosts: 972 Officer
Just wanted to give a report for past couple of weeks of fishing charters. Been running out of Hudson beach and the water quality offshore has been hit or miss. The Gag bite when you find the clean water has been great! We've been mainly working the 45'-55' range and that seems to be where the cleaner water has been. Worked the 35' stuff a little north of Hudson and the water was dirty brownish and didn't see much life on the sonar. We've been limiting out pretty much every trip. Some trips we've been having troubles finding clean water. Those trips we've had to work a little harder. I've been trying to stay away from main part of ledges and work the small rockpiles off the ledge. If i am working the ledge i will fish and bump up 20' every 15 mins or so. We'll pick one off here and one off there. Seems the Boston mackerel and cut bonita have been the best baits for them. With big live pigfish or pinfish being second and frozen dines coming in third. On another hand the mangos on these shallow ledges have been really good lately. More than i have ever seen in previous years. Good sized ones too for being under 60'. A lot have been caught on 60lb grouper gear with 7/0 hooks which is wild, but when we throw out a few 1/4oz snappaslappa jigs or 1/8oz yt jigs they've been pretty easy to get. As the weather cools the bite should pick up for the big Gags so I am looking forward to that. Enjoy the pics and until next time, tight lines! 

https://snappaslappa.com/collections/jigs discount code "fsforum" for 20% off orders over $15 for forum members

SnappaSlappa jigs, Made By Fisherman FOR fisherman

https://snappaslappa.com/collections/jigs

Replies

• grey2112grey2112 Member Posts: 379 Deckhand
    Sweet, Chris!  Did you get out yesterday?  If so, how was everything?
  • clarosaclarosa Senior Member tampa, flPosts: 972 Officer
    edited November 2021 #3
    grey2112 said:
    Sweet, Chris!  Did you get out yesterday?  If so, how was everything?
    The water was a lot better yesterday, but it was nasty out there...like 3-5's. Tough to fish so didn't hit more than a couple spots in 45'. Did get a lot of nice gags though and a few mangos between my guests puking rallies lol. 

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Moderator Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,479 Moderator
    Some byoots in that mix, and a brown bomber sprinkled in, you never disappoint. Nice job, Chris.
    Some byoots in that mix, and a brown bomber sprinkled in, you never disappoint. Nice job, Chris.
    We did squeeze in a couple ARS charters too but they were scattered to all hell. Spots that were loaded with pigs a month before only had a few here and a few there. Weather only allowed 3 runs in 3 weeks. Pretty bad. Figured Gag report is better suited for everyone on here. 

• bigfinn35bigfinn35 Senior Member Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,167 Officer
    Awesome stuff. Been talking with Tom to try and work out a trip, but unfortunately I haven't found anyone else to split the charter with so I'm limited to whenever there's an empty space or two. Hopefully it works out but either way seems like y'all are killing it.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
    bigfinn35 said:
    Awesome stuff. Been talking with Tom to try and work out a trip, but unfortunately I haven't found anyone else to split the charter with so I'm limited to whenever there's an empty space or two. Hopefully it works out but either way seems like y'all are killing it.
    We can always figure out a split type trip. I have a lot of regulars that would probably be willing to do a split. All depends on your availability. This time of year we kind of look ahead at weather and find a day if we're not booked to put something together. 

• bigfinn35bigfinn35 Senior Member Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,167 Officer
    clarosa said:
    bigfinn35 said:
    We can always figure out a split type trip. I have a lot of regulars that would probably be willing to do a split. All depends on your availability. This time of year we kind of look ahead at weather and find a day if we're not booked to put something together. 
    Would love to get a split trip, but sounds like it isn't too often there's just one or two spots to fill (only got one friend who said he'd be up for it). Fingers crossed though.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • releasegearreleasegear Senior Member Dunedin, FLPosts: 932 Officer
    good work Chris. I've noticed the same regarding the mangos.. had them chummed up to the surface last week in 45 ft - in a spot where i rarely  get them..  Grouper rigs caught most of them -  the surface feeders where cautious
    Mike Wilhite

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
    good work Chris. I've noticed the same regarding the mangos.. had them chummed up to the surface last week in 45 ft - in a spot where i rarely  get them..  Grouper rigs caught most of them -  the surface feeders where cautious
    Absolutely man. It's been incredible. I usually head south for mangos but may not need to unless i want big boys.

• NitzeyNitzey Member Posts: 281 Deckhand
    When I lived elsewhere in Florida, Boston Mackerel was one of my favorite baits for (big) red snapper.  What bait shops here sell Boston Mackerel?  Thanks in advance.
    Nitzey said:
    When I lived elsewhere in Florida, Boston Mackerel was one of my favorite baits for (big) red snapper.  What bait shops here sell Boston Mackerel?  Thanks in advance.
    Coopers has them, Armed Anglers, TFO...pretty much any decent tackle shop will sell them.