Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

2021 Flounder Pounder . Moved to December!

I was curious what they were going to do for the Jacksonville Flounder Pounder tournament with the flounder closure this year.    It looks like they have moved the tournament to December 4th.

I find this curious because i have always assumed that the vast majority of the big females would typically have already left the river around this time and were moving offshore.   I am sure there will always be a few around, but will this turn the tournament into something different?   

I absolutely hate the closure and feel there should be a two fish per person limit during the run.   This would not have caused such an issue with the tournament, and people could still look forward to fishing the flounder run.   

Is there anyone in here that has had luck targeting flounder in December in the River?

Replies

• fsu11fsu11 Senior Member JAX BeachPosts: 2,122 Captain
    hopefully they go back to an aggregate tournament after not many big fish are caught in december.
  • osprey11osprey11 Senior Member Posts: 1,460 Officer
    My bigger concern will be finger mullet.   Couple good Nor easters and they will be scarce by 
  • dixiedaddixiedad Senior Member JacksonvillePosts: 431 Deckhand
    I don't like anything about this flounder closure, or the tournament being set back till December, but, I believe the world record was caught in December at Nassau sound.
  • RedactionRedaction Senior Member JaxPosts: 2,044 Captain
    edited November 2021 #5
    Please don't lose sight of what this tournament is all about...Chip has done a phenomenal job raising autism awareness.  Everyone will be on same playing field.

• windblowswindblows Senior Member Posts: 279 Deckhand
    Redaction said:
    Please don't lose sight of what this tournament is all about...Chip has done a phenomenal job raising autism awareness.  Everyone will be on same playing field.

Exactly. Everyone being on the same playing field is the way to look at it.

On the fishing...what are the rules about fishing offshore? May end up being more like the sheepshead tournament. I will say...December can be a great month for flounder in the river...
  • Bigfish5Bigfish5 Senior Member Posts: 457 Deckhand
    This flounder closure is pretty awful for those who like to flounder fish.   I hope they will consider something like letting the Recreational fisherman keep 2 fish during the flounder run since the commercial giggers can keep 50!!    

This would allow the flounder pounder to keep its normal time-slot.