Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Smith's garage?

Is Smith's permanently closed?
I just got down yesterday and it looked closed, again today. I got all my fuel and chum from him.
Anybody know what is going on?
Thanks

Replies

• StratCasterStratCaster Posts: 110 Deckhand
    In September, there was a sign on the door that said "on vacation, back some time next month."
  • WahooslayerWahooslayer Posts: 61 Deckhand
    I spoke with Kevin about a month ago, unfortunately the property owner sold the building out from under him while Kevin was on vacation in September, so he's gone. I believe Two Conchs purchased the property. Kevin said he was looking for another location to restart his business, but that's an uphill battle. Sucks for us, no more cheap chum and fuel, and a good guy is out of business. 
    2019 Everglades 435
    1989 35 Contender TCummins
    2013 296 Cobia
    Stuart and Marathon FL
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 635 Officer
    I was riding my bike and saw the "Smith Auto Surfside" hand made sign over at the warehouse area of Aviation and Sylvia Avenue.  It is more of a warehouse/roll up door construction businesses area.  Might just be a short term place to store their stuff but would work the same as their little tackle shop area they had.  Be good to have the "Cheapest (Quality) Chum in the Keys" still around.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • WahooslayerWahooslayer Posts: 61 Deckhand
    Yes, Kevin has a new location, it will now be Bayside Bait and Tackle (formerly Surfside), the address is 10791 6th Ave Gulf (Aviation). He will still be doing automotive work and selling chum, but no marine fuel, unfortunately. Directions, turn on 107th St Bayside, go to Aviation, turn right and it's immediately on the right. Should be open soon.
    2019 Everglades 435
    1989 35 Contender TCummins
    2013 296 Cobia
    Stuart and Marathon FL