Home General Fishing

Trying to find Mullet for bait?

greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 554 Officer
Hi all, I’m in Pompano Beach right now, hoping to find some live mullet for bait. Been at the beach and pier and can’t find them, but think they might be in the inter coastal. Anyone have any ideas where I might be able to find some?

Thanks much!

Replies

• One DropOne Drop Posts: 385 Deckhand
    I haven't seen any schools moving at all up in ne fla. We really haven't had a big push either but I think next weekend is the day they really get on the move. 
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 238 Deckhand
    edited October 24 #3
    Check boat ramps and bridges. Plenty in Palm Beach to Boca. 6 weeks ago or so I was finding half a dozen-a dozen easily. Then tons showed up for a couple days, then they kinda vanished for a little. Have been on the bridges the last couple weeks in good numbers. Also check beaches around inlets. I’ve seen schools of a 100 or so the last three times I’ve been at an inlet. 
  • Amelia_BelliAmelia_Belli United StatesPosts: 10 Deckhand
    Estuaries, canals, and harbors are great places to search for mullet. The good thing is that if they are there it is easy to spot them as they will often be close to the surface. A rising tide will probably bring them closer as they feed on algae.
    Depending on where you fish, bread is without doubt the best bait for mullet. Some areas they will feed on fish bait, but in the main lumps of dough are the winners. Bread is not only the perfect hook bait, it's also great for ground baiting.
    Fishing is Love
  • plasteredplastered Posts: 595 Officer
    Mullet have been in PE.