Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Just a new guy

Salutations! I've been lurking for a while so I thought I'd go ahead and join this glorious forum. I noticed there's not a dedicated intro section, so I'm just going to do an intro here and in General hunting. I'm Nick, tried to get a degree in Marine Biology, was a few credits short when I realized the pay is unsustainable for many areas down here (unless you sell your soul to energy companies or move) . Have surfed in the past and did my time volunteering for a few different summer camps (during the college years). I've been fishing on and off for the majority of my life. Currently boatless with no plans to get one, maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment. Currently turn wrenches, but that's about to change. I drive by Matheson Hammock every morning on my way to work and get distracted with day dreams of being able to do a boatless flats slam, Pero, yo no se, Im probably delusional. How do those of you with families balance it all? I appreciate the people on this forum who are helpful, and I also understand you guys who come off as the AH's (after all, how hard is the search function to use?) 

Replies

• One DropOne Drop Posts: 385 Deckhand
    I started my daughter on the boat at 3 months old. Now she's 15. I haven't missed a beat since the day she was born. Fishing the way you want is more about a lifestyle than a hobby. If it's your hobby then you will day dream more often than wet a line. If you make it your lifestyle with family involved then you'll find a way to get it done more often than not, there's plenty places to fish and if you know what you're doing you can still catch fish in those places. If you're a nut like me then you'll find a way to cast at a spot either from the road, on the boat, from my bike or electric skateboard everyday/night. I'm on day 712 without missing at least one cast. I live on the island between the beach and river in Ormond by the Sea so I have it easy but I've caught tarpon, peacocks and a black drum behind the Falls Mall in Kendall so drive around with a rod and make it your purpose everyday no matter what to take a cast, you never know what you'll catch down by you. Snake Creek canal, off Ives Dairy Road east behind that ore school holds nice peacocks. Sky lake still has tarpon rolling, need a Mayan cichlid in a bobber. All those weird places hold something. Boatless flats slam? Tough for sure or everyone would be doing it but I have stupidly chased down a school of bones out by stiltsville so you can start with that and work your way to one of those perfect days. You just have to have a scratchy throat on the best tide of the year timed perfectly with just the right weather and you have to call in 2 days in a row, 1 is too suspicious..... Hope that helps. 
  • NickhoogNickhoog Posts: 1,171 Officer
    do like the rest of us...
    buy a boat, sink large amounts of money into it, don't get the results you had expected, find another line of fishing you "think" is less expensive and still not get results expected: then join go to the Off Topic category and complain about the world.....  

Now you're set up for numerous years of wasted time....

Thank you for joining..... :)
  • fagan59fagan59 Posts: 7 Deckhand
    Wife and I started with our oldest son on the boat water skiing when he was a month old. we have had several boats small cheap boats to bigger and more expensive boats and shore fished also. we have 3 sons and I can tell u that is dangerous at times when they were casting ( do not know how somebody didnt get hooked).  We are retired seasonal snow bird now and love when our sons wives and grand kids are down and we beach fish or boat. it has always been about family and togetherness ! As family u will figure out the time and the joy will happen !!!