Home General Hunting

It could'a been worse...............

bswivbswiv Posts: 8,187 Admiral
So this morning, early,  Louann says "let's go look for hogs where we saw the rooting yesterday." Now beyond the fact that I had no interest whatsoever in cleaning a hog, and the fact that I was hungry, I also had scant hope that we'd see a hog once it was light enough to actually see. But, out of fear, I went along with it. And as it was beautiful out it wasn't too bad. That is until she taps on the top of the electric cart as we're headed down towards where we'd seen the rooting.......and then asks for the binoculars.

Damned if she had not found hogs. Over the next few minutes she managed to work her way through the trees up to where she was close enough to shoot one, which she did. Of course this now means I have to not only clean a hog but also drag the darn thing out to the road where I can get the tractor to it. Went back and got the tractor so that we did not have to strain to load it and then carried it back to the cabin.

Parked the tractor on the shady side of the barn and went in to get breakfast before dealing with it. While consuming pancakes, with wild blueberries, pecans, oatmeal and cinnamon ( OMG GOOD! ) we discussed the what/how/who of dispensing with the hog. Ultimately I got lucky in that she allowed me to text one of the young guys who hunts on our place who I knew was in the woods to see if he wanted it. He jumped on the idea.

It was only after he said he'd take it that she made known that she really had wanted to keep it, give some of it to friends and to save a bit for Thanksgiving. Me......I was glad that all I had to do was rinse it off and then drop it from the tractor into the back of his truck.

The guy that was coming to get it had asked in a text earlier if he could check the sights on his muzzleloader once he got down out of his archery stand at 10:00 and I'd told him yes. So I had known he was in the woods.

With the hog off my plate I went into the barn and started working on a couple of things as I waited for him to come get it. Louann on the other hand decided that she was going to go trim a area along a trail and then see if she could "find where the other 2 hogs ran off to."  Needless to say, those hogs were long gone.

So about 10:15 I hear a rifle go off. And about 10 minutes later the guy shows up to get the hog. In my mind the rifle shot was him testing the sights on his muzzleloader right before coming to get the hog. We talk a while before I drop the hog into his truck and then at about 10:30 he drives off. I go back into the barn.

And then not 3 minutes........truly.....not 3 minutes later!.....she comes rolling up on her electric cart and starts yelling at me about answering the phone. Now we have pitiful phone service out there, almost none next to the barn. Hence the phone was back over by the house, up on the porch where we do have a bit of service, but also where you can not hear it from the barn, especially when Lynyrd Skynyrd is cranked up.

Once the yelling subsided she points out blood on her pants and shirt. Fortunately it was not hers. Unfortunately it was ANOTHER HOG!

Damned if she did not go back to the swamp behind the pine stand where she shot the first hog and somehow track down the other two, one of which was a little slow in realizing that she is to be feared.

So.......now it's 10:40 and I'm back to the place of having to clean a hog.

But, good fortune smiled yet again. For, as it was more of a hog than she could drag out whole she had gutted it and then to reduce the weight further, cut its head off before hauling it to the cart and lashing it to the rear platform. And during all that she lost her taste for hog so was now suggesting potential recipients of said animal. Thank goodness one of our friends wanted it......and he knew better than to ask me to skin it.

Tough morning.................................... W

Replies