Home General Hunting

Now MYFWCC wants to supplemental feed the manatee

OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 628 Officer
Since they cant manage the population according to sustaianbailty lets start a supplemental program to keep them happy.. and fat. Lets not address the sea grass problem each of these creatures consumes over 10lbs a day.

BOHICA

Replies

• OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 628 Officer
    EDIT 150 lbs a day of sea grass
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 724 Officer
    Maybe you’re spending too much time in WI and just forgot. 

You do still know what the FWC does and who FL has charged with managing water use and quality issues…… don’t you?

The problem isn’t too many sea cows for the sea grass. The problem is that the water quality isn’t good enough to sustain the sea grass so everything that depends on it is bearing the brunt of its loss. 

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,676 Admiral
    I have seen pictures of the Tampa Bay bottom where they put wire around areas in the grass. The grass was a couple feet long.
    Outside the little Pens the grass was little Nubs . 
    Their called Cows for a reason.
    Few years back the Enviro nuts wanted to shut down the Power Plant discharge canals...till they figured out about half our unrealistic Sea Cow population would die.
    We're allowing a Man Made Winter survival system to allow them to overpopulate and ruin the grass flats.
    They should have a Tag system and allow limited harvest.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Some thinning wouldn’t hurt them. Start with the Native American harvest. You’ll have to wait until they open the harvest up to native crackers. LOL

The grass problem is a lot bigger than sea cow grazing pressure though.

It’s causing their numbers to be thinned without any harvest. 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,593 Captain
    I've honestly managed to "bag" a couple. They aren't as easy as you might think either. It took me 22 years to bag two. By no means am I bragging, but I just got my last one a few months ago.

This native cracker is way ahead of the modern native Americans. ;)
    Maybe you’re spending too much time in WI and just forgot. 

You do still know what the FWC does and who FL has charged with managing water use and quality issues…… don’t you?

The problem isn’t too many sea cows for the sea grass. The problem is that the water quality isn’t good enough to sustain the sea grass so everything that depends on it is bearing the brunt of its loss. 

Havent seen a supplemental deer feeding program in the glades when water is up to the necks of the fur bearing animals.... PS too many CCows which Turner summed up nicely
    Im sorry I should recognize the other supplemental program disguised as AR's for the Fl Cougars...carry on
    Yup, water quality is just the way you like it. Not a problem at all.

Copy that, Rich.

Just curious.  is it any wonder to you why you could never get anywhere with them?
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,198 Captain
    I am curious as to what the manatee carrying capacity is for our state. I believe we have record numbers now. Common sense says you can’t have a high mortality if you don’t have a high population. Mother Nature can be a bear when populations get out of balance, it’s not for the faint of heart and can be sad. I would welcome a Manatee biologist explaining it all, before I make a final decision. 
    I know Tampa Bay had sea grass coverage greater than in the 1950s a few years ago and now we see a significant reduction. Sea grasses are impacted by water quality problems (nutrients) that feed algae blooms, shading out the sea grass water column and limiting growth. We even have a relatively new algae species thriving in old Tampa Bay which is now being studied. Prop damage by boaters, sedimentation, increased water depth, and yes manatees all adversely impact sea grasses. 

Once we start feeding, it’s going to be a long term project. Feed them and we eventually change their instinctive survival traits. Eventually we may have to construct sea cow corrals with food and water heaters to keep them alive. I would rather see the manatees relocated to other areas, maybe in the Caribbean in sanctuaries we collectively create with those countries for example. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,652 Captain
    edited October 17 #11

We're allowing a Man Made Winter survival system to allow them to overpopulate and ruin the grass flats.
    They should have a Tag system and allow limited harvest.
    Bu bu but the Snook!! 😱 

Their gonna be stacked up in their tonight with a full moon and cold front...
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 726 Officer
    Guys, serious question.
    I always thought manatees were pretty much a south/central Florida issue.
    Only the last 20 years or so have they been much of an issue in North Florida.
    I always thought they were another invasive species.

Question, historically, are they a native species or did they migrate
    from Caribbean waters and decided to stay?  
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,130 Captain
    All the nutrients and chemicals coming from the green lawns and golf courses and theme parks effect the grass beds and thus, the sea cows.  Bet a bunch of those people even have "Save the Manatee' tags. SMH  Of course if the Manatee was "saved" there wouldnt be a need for a "Save the Manatee" club would there....follow the $$$
    Yup, water quality is just the way you like it. Not a problem at all.

Copy that, Rich.

Just curious.  is it any wonder to you why you could never get anywhere with them?
    May I address you by your name please?
    edited October 19 #15
    Feel free to call me by whatever name you’d like.

Do you not care for your name?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,246 AG
    I tagged and released a few sea cows back in my day back in high school.  Not my fault my sister had chubby friends.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,553 Captain
    May sea cow chronic wasting disease, sea cow autoimmune deficiency, or sea cow neurological disorders somehow cause them to finally go away…..or get rid of the power plants and let nature and global warming do it….
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,177 Officer
    The population has been artificially high for decades and now this?
  • shempshemp Posts: 688 Officer
    All that construction on the HF isn't going to help the grass situation.  I'll say I've seen more algae on the grass than I can ever remember on the 'fringing' flats nearest shore and seawalls.  This is all on the Pinellas side of the Bay from HF Bridge to Tierra Verde.  

Counted 7 manatees on a small flat w/ no algae surrounded by algae-covered flats.  Reds and macks were stacked on the flat too.  

What kills me is we still have a coal plant on the bay.  There's already a LNG pipeline, why TECO wouldn't want to convert that plant is beyond me (maybe somewhere here can explain). 

Grass up by Gandy died a long time ago. Not sure if it's 100% manatee related or 0% manatee related, but I'd wager they played a part.  Sure they've eaten Apollo beach out of house and home.  

And FWIW someone asked if they were native.  The answer is yes, and dugongs about 10 million years before them.  Their remains are a common find in the borrow pits of suburbia in south Hillborough and Manatee county (as well as the Peace River). 

And yes their #s recovered significantly over the last 25 years in lock step with water quality and seagrass coverage.  

Anyone ever see them up the rivers in TB?  I don't venture (by water at least) east of the ship channel a whole lot but wonder if they avoid rivers due to water quality, or what they eat when they're up there
    They should Supplemental feed the ducks since THEY destroyed the SAV in almost every lake in Fl now
    When they start making License plates with their smiling picture on it...We're screwed.
    If they came in 50 pound Take Home sizes I'd be roasting them regularly..
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 892 Officer
    seems lotta guys hate sea cows but have no problem with texas cougars       when i remember i always raid the death box in my fridge     thats where lettuce and other vegetables my wife buys 3 x more then we eat go to die      pack a large ziplock and throw in my backpack      couple i see so often when im wading the indian river i gave them names      bigmac and trt are a couple of my favorites them jokers are eating machines.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,283 Captain
    What if Florida Sportsmen and Women future well being, habitat needs are not far removed from the “ Manatee” ??? 

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    A Green Pasture benefits many..
    FloridaOD said:
    What if Florida Sportsmen and Women future well being, habitat needs are not far removed from the “ Manatee” ??? 

can u explain
    OGBOHICA said:
    FloridaOD said:

can u explain
    Nope. Not in a way you or I would understand. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,652 Captain
    edited October 27 #27
    OGBOHICA said:
    FloridaOD said:

can u explain
    Try reading this first. It’ll make more sense  😂 

One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 899 Officer
    $500 Manatee harvest > $500 Goliath grouper harvest

They might taste like crap but at least we get to find out
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,246 AG

The tree huggers would lose their minds.   you saw what happened when a very limited bear hunt was allowed.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 

The tree huggers would lose their minds.   you saw what happened when a very limited bear hunt was allowed.   
    Manatees have greater crazy potential than bears x1000000
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 899 Officer
    Ahhhhhh come on fellas! I can picture ole Snooty now over my fireplace  :D