Home Boating

Blown Suzuki Motor

gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,465 Captain
Last week I put up a story about "Jinxed," and told about the 2008 Suzuki DF25 4 stroke overheating and quitting. Here's an update:

Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive engine gasket

I pulled the head on the left cylinder and found this. The cylinder liner is OK and the outer casting is OK, but that inner water jacket is hurting.

When I tore it down, I found that 3 of the 6 vanes on the water pump impeller had broken and about 1/4" of the ends were gone on 2 of them. The 3rd was still hanging on - barely. I "think" what happened was that one of those ends plugged a water passage and caused the localized overheating. When I pulled the head, I looked carefully and don't see any pieces inside the water jacket.

Local welding shop says he can weld it up for about $150, then it will cost about ~$200 or $300 to have it machined true.....after I completely dis-assemble the motor and take the bare crankcase into the shop.

I don't have the room to work on a project like that and it'd be one helluva job. I thought about rigging up some kind of jig and adapting a fly cutter to polish the head gasket mating surface myself with the motor assembled as here, but have my doubts about practicality.

Alternatively, 30 years ago I owned a little Saab 99 car that had the 1300cc Triumph engine. Those engines were notorious for getting a "worm" in the head, where a little hole would erode from the water jacket into the combustion chamber. The plume of white smoke in the exhaust was a give-away to the coolant leaking into the combustion chamber. Yup, mine got one.

OK, the shop I was working in at the time had some special high temp epoxy that had to be kept in the freezer. I pulled the head, cleaned up the worm with a Dremel tool and used that epoxy to repair the hole. Remember, this was in the combustion chamber - about as tough a repair as there is.

Amazing - I drove that car for over a year with no problem until one day it ran low on coolant and overheated. That finished the epoxy. Point to make on that is that it "did" work.

I see 2400º epoxy advertised online and it makes me wonder. The cylinder liner is fine and that's where the piston rings ride, so there's no wear factor. I wonder if I could build up that burned section with epoxy and polish it smooth enuf for a head gasket ??

OK, my problem with all this is that $450 - $500 to have it welded and machined isn't insurmountable and the motor would likely be OK for years to come.....but now I can't trust it in my little OCD mind. As is well known, I like to go places and frequently end up way back of beyond. I don't like rowing home or looking for tows.

I'm vacillating - local independent shop has a 25 hp Mercury 2 smoke that he'll sell me for $600.  Then again, I really liked the quiet, smooth power of the 4 stroke.  Then again, I had endless problems with it.  This latest just put a cap on it.

I'm very tempted to just sell it as a parts motor and buy the Mercury. Any thoughts ??

Migawd, I just wanna go play and it's one thing after another.  Is there no end to it ??

Replies

• chaser48chaser48 San Mateo Fla.Posts: 278 Deckhand
    See if shop will let you try before you buy
  • CaptjamesCaptjames Pompano BeachPosts: 184 Deckhand
    Personally I'd find another motor.  Sell that motors lower unit. 
  • cortrcortr Posts: 441 Deckhand
    Go with 4 stroke Mercury if possible. Most reliable brand on the market these days. 
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,465 Captain
    edited October 17 #5
    You know, I fussed with and fixed the lower unit and accepted the weight on the transom.  If I fix the fool thing, then I still have the lack of power problem to sort out.  It was hard to crank and it appears something may have been binding in the impeller area.  I'll never fully trust it after this last episode......??

What do you think I could realistically expect to get for it if I sell it as is....with 2 props.
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 855 Officer
    look for other similar motor and see what is the asking price that will give you a starting point , then put up for sale on offerup or similar
    I'm still dithering some on it.  Right now, it's sitting in the back corner of my shop while I decide how far to take it.  Yesterday I picked up a used 25 hp 2 smoke to get me back on the water, but I surely did like that 4 stroke.  The smooth, quiet power was nice.  Several used parts outfits online told me that's really unusual for a Suzuki V-twin - they figure them to be almost bullet proof.  Hate to take a $1500 bath on the thing.  Money's tight.

Is there a machinist in the crowd that I could bounce some ideas off'n ??
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 855 Officer
    Have look at maybe a short block? 
    Gotsea said:
    Have look at maybe a short block? 
    I've done some searching of used part outfits around the country and did find one possible bare block in Miami, but his price is very high and he was pretty negative.  Another feeler out in the mid-west right now.  Possible option here locally, too, that I should know more about later in the week.