Home General Hunting

Fish and Wildlife Foundation of Florida

bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,517 Captain
Has anyone had any experience, made any donations or just have an opinion about this organization?

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

Replies

• altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 726 Officer
    In my opinion, they are more concerned with the "wildlife" than they are with the hunters/fishermen.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,517 Captain
    What is their affiliation with the FWC?

I think they are a "partner" with FWC. I am not sure, but I believe that they get funding ie: tax dollars
    from FWC and raise money from other sources as well.

My issue with that arrangement (presuming my beliefs are correct) is that tax dollars then go to lobby FWC for whatever FWF thinks should be done.

I do know that when FSDHA ask for support on some issues in the past they did not respond.
    They have their own agenda and that is all they care about.
    Who is the FSDHA?
    I'm pretty sure their agenda is more about conserving wildlife and habitat than sportsman's wishes.
    The FWC pretty much deals with them.
    Just in case I have any money left when I croak, I'd like it to go somewhere it will do some good for the future sportsman.

FSDHA Florida State Dog Hunters Assoc., 
    Primarily, deer, hog and other hunting, but vocal on land use, and other issues related.
    Not a political group, just trying to keep hunting opportunities available to the public, 

Everybody has different ideas, but I would consider someone like Nature Conservancy who actually funds saving land from development.
    In my mind most other groups want some else's money ie: taxpayers, to fund everything.
    Just my thoughts.

I do find it interesting that no one else is in this conversation. , 
    Yes. Thank you for replying.  I will look into the Nature conservancy.

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,198 Captain
    I know the Ducks Unlimited, National Wild Turkey Federation, and the National Deer Association are all about preserving land for all wildlife species not just the ducks, turkeys and deer. They all three support hunting and I support them through membership.
    The Nature Conservancy is OK with some hunting and they do purchase a lot of property, thereby protecting it from development. I also believe certain geographic areas are more accepting of hunters, so it may be somewhat geared to the local membership. They will occasionally buy quickly then make a deal with an agency to let them have the property for a like amount. 
    The biggest problem I have with the NC is they are big about “restoring” the land to what they believe it was like 2,000 yrs ago. Some huge hammocks were destroyed to change the landscape. 
    Some of my friends work and volunteer with the NC and we do have our differences. 
    It’s your money and your decision. Give them a call or email to see what they are about. 
    All very worthy groups.
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 628 Officer
    If you want more protections for Manatee's Turtles, Cougars, Grasshoppers give them your $$$, its been an extension of MYFWCC for yrs now.
    I don't currently belong to DU or NWTF but I used to belong to both of them.  I think I will take a new look and see what they are doing now days.  

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,593 Captain
    I used to be a member of just about all of them, but I'm mostly disenfranchised with all of them now. I feel that most old, legitimate pro hunting conservation groups have been coopted by incompetence and anti hunting elements over time and have lost their way. Many are now only in it for the money and couldn't care less about the mission.

It's good to see the question as I've never given it much thought. Of them mentioned so far, I like the nwtf probably the most. They seem to stay focused and are fairly active in solid grass roots projects that enhance the habitat for the benefit of all wildlife. Check em out and let us know what you find.

• rschirmerwildlifeflarschirmerwildlifefla Tampa, FLPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Hi! Social Media Manager with the Fish & Wildlife Foundation of Florida here — just wanted to clear up some of the confusion in this thread. The Foundation does not take tax dollars from FWC, quite the opposite. The Foundation is a citizen support organization that contributes funds to a variety of projects across the state. Our Deer license plate (https://wildlifeflorida.org/wff/) funds the majority of our hunting projects. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about any of the projects we’ve funded.

• FloridahuntFloridahunt Palm BeachPosts: 212 Deckhand
    Every time I renew my deer license plate I make sure to remove the specialty fees from my yearly fwc donation. 
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,553 Captain
    Hi! Social Media Manager with the Fish & Wildlife Foundation of Florida here — just wanted to clear up some of the confusion in this thread. The Foundation does not take tax dollars from FWC, quite the opposite. The Foundation is a citizen support organization that contributes funds to a variety of projects across the state. Our Deer license plate (https://wildlifeflorida.org/wff/) funds the majority of our hunting projects. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about any of the projects we’ve funded.

But you support of fake endangered species kills more deer and hunting opportunities than you work to create. 

Why do you continue to fund the Fl Panther Projects with donations from hunters who are opposed to such funding VIA your License plate program?
    One more question, for every dollar donated what percent goes into salaries?
  • rschirmerwildlifeflarschirmerwildlifefla Tampa, FLPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    OGBOHICA said:

Why do you continue to fund the Fl Panther Projects with donations from hunters who are opposed to such funding VIA your License plate program?
    Each license plate corresponds to a specific objective. Our Deer plate is specifically designated to conserving and managing lands open to public hunting, improving access to and amenities on publicly accessible hunting lands, supporting hunting stakeholder meetings, promoting gun and hunting safety programs, and more. However, our Deer plate program does not support Florida panther projects. For a complete list of the grants we've funded with the Deer plate, visit https://wildlifeflorida.org/wff_grants/.

The Protect the Panther License Plate is not managed by the Foundation, but by FWC: https://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/wildlife/panther/plate/.

With regard to your question about salaries, the Foundation's programmatic efficiency as a nonprofit is 88%. This means 12 cents from every dollar goes to administrative costs such as salaries. We are very proud to have achieved the highest ratings from nonprofit watchdogs, GuideStar and Charity Navigator.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,198 Captain
    I’ll be purchasing Deer License plates for two of our rides this January. Thanks for supporting hunting and hunters. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,283 Captain
    edited October 21 #20
    Wonderful to see a Foundation Representative monitor and reply here.
    I personally know a multi millionaire hard conservative pro hunt pro gun land owner who proudly displays a Fish  And Wildlife Foundation license tag on his Truck. He is not Alone.
    Not to be confused with the Florida Wildlife Federation..... an organization equally or more deserving  than “ Foundation”.
    I recently attended a Jacksonville Chapter DU Event........ they raised ( per usual) funds for The Organization buts hands on Local and Florida signature wetland conservation/ knock down drag out Involvement and Success examples were lacking. 
    In a banquet room of hundreds, I was likely among the few  looking for Information, discernment, knowledge, ability / Leadership and directive.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 899 Officer
    If nothing else, this thread proves other agencies are paying attention to our posts.
    They always have been, you get more than 2 mins to speak, best part is they cant turn the mic off on you....
    Thanks for the info rscihirmer.