Home General Hunting

Pulled or Sausage?

josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 859 Officer
edited October 21 in General Hunting #1
Drew a coveted Hog Still quota on the initial draws; not on reissue. I got out there the Sunday prior and did a bit of scouting. Dropped some pins on fresh sign I found and then marked some areas of interested during the week from OnX.

Got out to the property the Friday morning of the quota and setup camp. Spent the afternoon and evening in the woods. Checked the sign I found the past Sunday but it had not been freshened up. Checked some of the areas I marked, however sundown came up on me quick.

Started Saturday morning at 6am where I left off in the woods. Hiked a fire break through the dense fog out to a section of the river. Rested for a few and caught my breath along the river. I start making my way back up the fire break and I noticed some fresh hog tracks in the tilled road that were not there 20 minutes prior. 

I follow the tracks to a narrow game trail and proceeded on for a couple hundred yards. The trail opens into a larger area full of juvenile pines and general scrub. I can hear snorting but I cannot see any hogs at this point. I freeze in place as I now see 3 black hogs to my right, around 35 yards out. Two are obscured slightly by a tree they are rooting and one is facing me directly.

As the hog facing me drops its head, I drop down to one knee and flip open my objective lens cap. The hogs close the distance slightly to 25-30 yards as the move to another tree. As the hogs turn, I placed my crosshairs on the shoulder of the leading hog and dropped the hammer. The hog hits the ground kicking and I drop a second into her neck ceasing all function.

170 lbs pregnant sow @ 25 yards with 165 Grain Hornady SST in .308 Win

That was only half the story though. I was a full 3 miles from my truck with just a drag line and only 10 lbs heavier than my harvest. I ended up dragging her to a creek crossing, gutting her, and then I sunk her in the creek for almost 20 minutes.

I let the cold water flow over and through her while I rested. Then on the way out I luckily ran into an unsuspecting hiker who I convinced to help me drag her the remaining 2 miles out. I cannot thank Mike from Lakeland enough. I tried to repay him but he was just happy to take a picture with the hog. I did get the name of his business so I will be sending him some sort of corporate gift.

Got her checked in and all butchered up nicely. Everyone I spoke to agreed that my saving grace was cooling her down in the creek crossing. Currently she is on ice in my garage. Draining and adding more ice for the next week. Then it's to the kitchen we go.

This is my first public land harvest and I'm mighty proud of myself all things considered. My guest hunter, who ended up backing out last minute, is really kicking himself.

Replies

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,844 Captain
    Congrats!… I’d invest in a game cart if you want to shoot big ones 3 miles in.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,765 Captain
    Looks like you have enough for both pulled and sausage!
    And anything else for that matter.
    Congrats on a successful hunt.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,495 Officer
    Nice kill.  I'm curious as to whether or not there was an exit wound.  I have had some trouble with those bullets. 
    I have to agree with bow hunter on the cart. I bet that was a hell of a drag. 

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,107 Captain
    Nice job! Congrats 
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 859 Officer
    I did recover the bullet that hit behind the shoulder. It was petaled nicely and hanging just inside the chest cavity. Washed it in the creek crossing and swore I placed it in my pants pocket. Couldn't find it once back at camp though. That drag though may have been one of the hardest things I have ever done physically. Never again.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Nice! That was a fat pig!
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,573 Admiral
    When you hit your 50's it'll be within 4 Wheeler range or not at all.
    That's when them 75 pounders look real nice.
    Good Job !!
    Cut them ribs into 4 slabs..Bottom and top , leave the Backstrap on the top ones..Slow cooker all of the ribs..marinate in Mojo...Thank me later
    Front shoulders are Grind meat for Chili , Sausage  ect. 
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,500 Captain
    edited October 12 #9
    Something to consider. Looks like you have a backpack on. If you carry a bag for the back straps and ribs, you can cut the front shoulders off (with the skin still on) and put them together with the meat facing and get all of that into most small backpacks. You then cut off the hams with the skin still on and throw one over each shoulder. You’ve eliminated 40-50% at least of the carcass weight when you leave the head, spine and pelvis behind on pigs. About a 50/50 vs walking back to the truck for a cart. 

But that is primo meat. Congrats
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 372 Deckhand
    edited October 13 #10
    Congrats, that is a big sow! A game cart or plastic drag can really help.  Your thread title asks pulled or sausage..That is a personal choice. I know what works best for me at our house.. I quit making sausage years ago. Once meat is made into Sausage it's always going to be sausage..15 years ago I took a fat sow to a processor he was said to make excellent sausage, I asked for mild... The crap i got back from him was so spicy no one i knew could eat it. I bought a electric grinder right after that..What i do with the trimmings now is make hamburger. If I want sausage I add the seasoning just before cooking.. If we want hamburgers, chili, spaghetti or hamburger helper then I have that choice too with the burger. We go thru at least 6 - 8 hogs a year and only 2 or 3 deer. Last year I got a "Digital pressure canner" and Six 12 packs of quart Mason jars, Last year we put up at least 48 quart jars of game, I washed the used jars, bought more lids  and reused the jars as needed .. I now pressure can Deer and Hog meat rather than vac packing it and freezing. that frees up precious Freezer space for Back Straps and vacuum bags of brim and specks..  Plus its already cooked and ready to eat. The meat is so tender in those jars.. The hog meat I just drain juices off and dump into pan to warm up with BBQ sauce or drain and put on rice or mashed potatoes..
    I'd agree with Robert as fas as Sausage grinding..and I've did Hundreds of pounds of Sausage thru the years.
    Just grind and keep several different kinds of seasoning in the kitchen.
    You can use the Grinds unflavored for Chili ect. and if you want Breakfast or Brats just add the seasoning right then. I've still got leftover Maple breakfast sausage I haven't ate yet...
    I don’t own a grinder as it’s not worth the expense to me so far. I either cook shoulders and hams in the crock pot/slow cooker and or cut up hams and back straps and turn them into snitzel. 

For slow cooker meat you can freeze it into small portions for tacos or my current favorite adding it to spicy Raman noodles you get in places like Costco. But tacos are awesome and easy to do. 

For snitzel, you can get a rubber or metal meat tenderizer (hammer) put the meat between two thick layers of cellophane and pound very thin. I season then place in flour then scrambled egg then Panko and fry until we’ll done in bacon grease or canola oil. My kids eat it until gone my son wants it every day for lunch. It’s gone quickly. 
    edited October 13 #13
    Thank you guys for the great ideas. I think the big take away is a game cart and not seasoning the grind until I'm ready to use it. I will certainly be trying my hand at some Snitzel. I've had turkey Snitzel, never pork though.
    H2O, Aprox 14 years ago I got lucky and found a small electric grinder on sale for $49, regular price was $125. I thought it would last a year or two..then I would upgrade to a larger more powerfully unit. I have used it on around 100 Deer and hogs.. I have not been easy on this grinder, I cannot kill it. The local processors charge anywhere from $65 to $85 dollars. I do have the expense of the vacuum bags and my time so there is that trade off.  Processing myself allows me to know how my meat treated and that it really is my kill. I got sick last year with 2 hogs on ice.. Was too weak to process them..the local guy got to do those. In my opinion, Hog hamburger is better tasting than deer burger..pressure canned deer meat is better tasting than canned hog meat.. 
    edited October 13 #15
    RobertR said:
    H2O, Aprox 14 years ago I got lucky and found a small electric grinder on sale for $49, regular price was $125. I thought it would last a year or two..then I would upgrade to a larger more powerfully unit. I have used it on around 100 Deer and hogs.. I have not been easy on this grinder, I cannot kill it. The local processors charge anywhere from $65 to $85 dollars. I do have the expense of the vacuum bags and my time so there is that trade off.  Processing myself allows me to know how my meat treated and that it really is my kill. I got sick last year with 2 hogs on ice.. Was too weak to process them..the local guy got to do those. In my opinion, Hog hamburger is better tasting than deer burger..pressure canned deer meat is better tasting than canned hog meat.. 
    pressure cooked deer meat over egg noodles in one of the best meals known to man. 

I’d love to have a pressure cooker and a grinder. I fear the second I buy them the fwc will find a way to close all the public land down here to hunting rendering them useless to me. They are getting closer to it every day. 
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,495 Officer
    edited October 13 #16
    I did recover the bullet that hit behind the shoulder. It was petaled nicely and hanging just inside the chest cavity. Washed it in the creek crossing and swore I placed it in my pants pocket. Couldn't find it once back at camp though. That drag though may have been one of the hardest things I have ever done physically. Never again.
    No exit wound then.  I had that problem when Hornady first came out with those bullets.  I shot a buck at dusk, he ran away with no blood trail to follow.  I spent half the night and most of the next day looking for him.  That was 165g .300 savage.  I finally found him by the buzzards and only 200 yds from where I shot him.  Needless to say I only use them for target practice now.  I switched over to Barnes TSX and have not had that problem since.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

edited October 13 #17
    Interesting BFeeder. I shot a 150lbs Buck in WV 2019, quartering and moving toward me, at around 30 yards with the same setup. Entered just in front of the right shoulder and passed out the left rib cage, striking the heart on passthrough. DRT. Completely different targets and shot placements though.
    Josh, hope you can get out and put another one down. I have a 6.5 Grendel rifle that shoots a 123 grain SST bullet very well. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,089 Captain
    Congratulations!  A cart will help but dont think that will make it easy.  A friend of mine and I bought muzzleloaders at the same time years ago and went out on a quota hunt.  About 8 AM I hear "Kapow!!" from his direction. "Hog down" he texts. Not long after he texts "Another red one wandering by. Should I shoot it?" Before I could text back "Kapow!!" Two 125 lbers to cart out in October 10 AM SFla heat. "But you said you had a cart" he says.....
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 866 Officer
    Congrats!… I’d invest in a game cart if you want to shoot big ones 3 miles in.
    he looks pretty young      let him drag for a few years     then get a game cart    after 50 you can butcher in the field and pack them out     by far the safest and easiest way.  nice looking hog   congrats.
    37. They can all be easier going forward though.
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 320 Deckhand
    Well I am in my latter 50s if not for torn tendons, cancer and general laziness the last 3 years. I be right along side of you. Now older and wiser I plan ahead back pack and meat bags. I can de joint anything with just a knife no saws needed. I will say if I bring one back whole, rib meat and belie I turn into bacon. The hams are either for pulled pork or to cure into ham really easy. The neck, maybe shoulders, 4 shanks and any other scraps I make sausage. Nicely done and do as much as you can while you can. only when we give in is it over.  Congrats on your success.
    Ted...I'd be interested in hearing about this Bacon..
    I can pretty much kill all or get all the wild hogs I need , But I need more Bacon.

If I can't get my 4 Wheeler within 300 yards I don,t shoot hogs but I'm on a Timber Lease and Skidder trails are everywhere.
    Ted...I'd be interested in hearing about this Bacon..
    I can pretty much kill all or get all the wild hogs I need , But I need more Bacon.

If I can't get my 4 Wheeler within 300 yards I don,t shoot hogs but I'm on a Timber Lease and Skidder trails are everywhere.
    look over in the kitchen for curing- making ham.

Basically salt sugar- brown or maple syrup cure. I remove the meat off the ribs - small pig leave the back strap attached to the rib. I debone the ham shoulder - neck is tough. Rub the meat down place in tubs in the garage frig. You want moister to drain out.  Cook To finish instead of allowed more days of drying.  I bake the meat slow to 15  then chill and partly freeze before vacuum seal. You could smoke it but the cooking or smoking just speed up drying. I have post and should be a video in sportsmen kitchen.  
    I've did the Lems Sweeter that Sweet Brine and Injection and the Brown Sugar marinate on whole hams .
    Tasted like Prosciutto Ham. Good but not a slab of meat for dinner. Great for a snack or sandwich but not a Chunk of Dinner meat.
    I'd like Bacon...
    I also leave the Backstrap on the Top Ribs for the slow cooker.

Thanks for sharing Ted!!
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,571 Captain
    Congrats!

Don't overlook cube steaking some of that swine either. It's basically the same as schnitzel but without the work. I make my own sausage, but it is a tedious endeavor, and I'm generally less than happy when I let a processor make it.

Here are some lip smacking "hog steaks" I made last week from a pig my son killed a few days earlier. Couple that with a vegetable, some mashed potatoes and gravy and you've got a home run with anyone not worried about their weight or cholesterol.  ;)
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 661 Officer
    Looks good Mak, and that is why I pay my doctor to worry about my weight and cholesterol, so I don't have to.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,571 Captain
    I have always cut out my back loins but I think I may need to try the ribs with the backstraps attached. Treat 'em like a mini tomahawk steak!