Home Conservation Front

No they really do not want us fishing! Flounder super bowl is cancelled this year.

Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 455 Deckhand
The best flounder fishing of the year is upon us, except this year for the first time ever Florida has a closed season.   The flounder fishing has been very good for the last 5 years for me in the Jacksonville area, so i do not buy that we are low on flounder stocks.   

Every year people who do not normally fish for flounder may make a trip because this is your chance to catch a nice one.  

The funny thing is, only recreational fisherman are not allowed to keep flounder during the run.   The commercial giggers with their flat bottom boats, generators and lights can keep on stabbing and selling flounder while the tax paying rec. guys are excluded.   

To me this just looks like another money fish grab,  much like red snapper which they shut down in the Atlantic years ago, yet the snapper boats are still going strong.    It is obvious that there is not a red snapper shortage, so that must now be what this is about.  

Solution:    I just want a reason to go flounder fishing during the run.   Maybe we are only allowed to keep 2 fish per person during the current shut down time, but at least we could go and keep a couple for a dinner.  

Replies

• cortrcortr Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Another example of government not caring about the recreational anglers.  The commercial guys always know how to line the pocket of bureaucrats and politicians. Nothing is ever going to change!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,407 AG
    Best available science dictated a closure.
    50 head commercial limit is to address by-catch in the shrimp fleet.

There is no powerful commercial lobby lining the pockets of the commission for 50 head of flounder.

As the rec sector continues to grow expect more restrictions.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.