Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Saturday 50 ft off NPR - Gags, Mangos

releasegearreleasegear Posts: 864 Officer
Hit 2 spots to the NW in 50ft. Lots of gags. Lost a few big ones but most were 22-26 range. Once the gag bite slowed the mangos showed up - Left them chewing as we had to be back early.  I just kept using grouper rig for them, boys switched to knocker rigs. The current - wind combo was not ideal for jigs. It was good to see all the gags -  good sign!!

bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'

Replies

• hook_emhook_em Posts: 243 Deckhand
    You guys kill  it every time.  I gotta learn some spots in less than 100'.  I'm lost until  I get a little deeper.
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 864 Officer
    hook_em said:
    You guys kill  it every time.  I gotta learn some spots in less than 100'.  I'm lost until  I get a little deeper.

THx - It 's all about reading the bottom on your machine.. not a ton of relief on the spots i fished but it was hard rock . I moved around on it until i started seeing signs of life then anchored up.
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,392 Moderator
    Very nice job! The Gag fishing north of Tarpon is tough to beat.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,780 Captain
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 974 Officer
    edited October 11 #6
    hook_em said:

THx - It 's all about reading the bottom on your machine.. not a ton of relief on the spots i fished but it was hard rock . I moved around on it until i started seeing signs of life then anchored up.
    Been working on exploring new areas near me recently since I don't want to just be reliant on the same 10 clusters of bottom spots I often end up fishing. When you see a bottom mark that's worthy of stopping and fishing, are you usually looking for a pretty significant showing of fish? Or is just a few fish suspended off some hard bottom a good enough sign? I've found a ton of hard bottom areas, but a lot of the time so many of them just look totally empty of fish when I'm cruising around looking for a decent show. 
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 868 Officer
    Nice looking table of fish Mike! 
    SnappaSlappa jigs, Made By Fisherman FOR fisherman

https://snappaslappa.com/collections/jigs
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 864 Officer
    bigfinn35 said:
    hook_em said:

Been working on exploring new areas near me recently since I don't want to just be reliant on the same 10 clusters of bottom spots I often end up fishing. When you see a bottom mark that's worthy of stopping and fishing, are you usually looking for a pretty significant showing of fish? Or is just a few fish suspended off some hard bottom a good enough sign? I've found a ton of hard bottom areas, but a lot of the time so many of them just look totally empty of fish when I'm cruising around looking for a decent show. 

I do the same thing and I get some hard bottom areas that seem like ghost towns.
     i'm looking for the section that has some life - bait, grunts, snappers - i'm not necessarily  trying to mark gags. Also looking for the part that may look more rocky, broken,jagged not so flat. Even if those sections do not show much once a bait goes down fish start appearing - Often I'll keep the engine running and drop down a pin to test it out. I definitely prefer north pinellas, pasco for this type of fishing  -  there's more good bottom, easier to find spots.
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

• bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 974 Officer
    Thanks for the breakdown! Yeah usually I've been stopping if I see almost anything other than a flat hard return- wild how fast fish can appear after having baits down for a little while.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 247 Deckhand
    bigfinn35 said:
    Thanks for the breakdown! Yeah usually I've been stopping if I see almost anything other than a flat hard return- wild how fast fish can appear after having baits down for a little while.
    I agree that at a good spot putting bait down can excite fish.  Suddenly the screen will show lots of activity whereas before there was none.