Goodyear endurance

MtgMamaMtgMama HoweyPosts: 29 Deckhand
Any better than their trailer tires from 20
years ago?

Replies

• chaser48chaser48 San Mateo Fla.Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Ok in my book I have 4
  • StankBaitStankBait Posts: 418 Deckhand
    Not better that the "old" Marathons but they are about the best there is now. Next is Maxi. My Maxi got traded for Endurance when they started separating. Done about 7500 pulling boat on them and no problem so far. On the travel trailer too. 87 mph speed rating. Get them if you can find them.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,456 Captain
    Wouldn't be hard for a new model to be better than the Marathons (which were junk, plain and simple...).  Remember that actual trailer tires (as opposed to passenger tires) are only rated for use up to 65 mph.... I'm towing a small skiff 20,000 miles a year - year in and year out.... so I've had to learn a lot more about tires for my trailer than I ever wanted to know...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • MtgMamaMtgMama HoweyPosts: 29 Deckhand
    Thanks,6 coming from Discount tire,We’ll see..

• StankBaitStankBait Posts: 418 Deckhand
    By old Marathons, I refer to the ones made in USA before they started building overseas. Had six on an Owens trailer. Never a problem.
    Those USA made Marathons must have been many years ago since Marathons have had a very bad reputation for at least 20 years now... I got a pair of them on a new trailer back in 2005 and didn't get 9,000 miles on them before they failed... with the tread looking just fine so you know it wasn't wear that did them in...  At the time I thought that I'd gotten good "premium" tires on that new trailer (not my usual Continentals... ).  So much for Marathons.  For years now most that I know wouldn't have them if they were free...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 565 Officer
    edited October 12 #8
    The title of the thread is "Goodyear endurance".  The Endurance is a newer model tire with a great reputation, unlike the Marathon being talked about in this thread.

However, since the "e" in the thread title is not capitalized, it's not clear if we are talking about the "Endurance" model or the endurance of Goodyear trailer tires which everyone seems to thinking of the Marathon.  
    TXWahoo said:
    The title of the thread is "Goodyear endurance".  The Endurance is a newer model tire with a great reputation, unlike the Marathon being talked about in this thread.

However, since the "e" in the thread title is not capitalized, it's not clear if we are talking about the "Endurance" model or the endurance of Goodyear trailer tires which everyone seems to thinking of the Marathon.  

Goodyear

Endurance

ST225 /75 R15 117N E1 BSW

Item #32624

can you sleep better now?🤔
    If you buy them and they provide good service let us know - two or three years from now... Seriously most of us just want tires that work and could care less about the brand.  All I run are radials - and I actually go down the road with two spare tires for a single axle trailer since every day I'm booked it's nearly a 200 mile round trip from him house to the ramps at Flamingo or Chokoloskee...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    If you buy them and they provide good service let us know - two or three years from now... Seriously most of us just want tires that work and could care less about the brand.  All I run are radials - and I actually go down the road with two spare tires for a single axle trailer since every day I'm booked it's nearly a 200 mile round trip from him house to the ramps at Flamingo or Chokoloskee...
    They’re mounting the tomorrow..
  • CaptjamesCaptjames Pompano BeachPosts: 180 Deckhand
    How often do you do your bearings? 
    Literally, since I bought the trailer I'm running, an EZ Loader with oil bath hubs... never replaced bearings in miles and miles on the road (somewhere north of 300,000 miles..).  Bought the trailer in 2005 and put roughly 20,000 miles a year on it (single axle trailer, 17' Maverick skiff...) without the slightest bearing problem.  Did a precautionary axle change out two or three years ago (and of course it came with new hubs and new oil bath bearings (they call it the Reliable system...) and neither axle has had the slightest bearing troubles - so far... 

I was worried when I first got them back in 2005 since every day I'm at Flamingo or Chokoloskee - it's a nearly 200 mile round trip (along with 8 or 9 hours on the water...) but they've been great - can't recommend them enough.  Each hub comes with a clear Lexan cap so you can check oil level and condition at a glance - once or twice over the years I've done an oil change (unscrew cap, drain hub, re-attach cap, re-fill hub through small allen screw port on the hub... That simple...    The new axle came with metal caps for the hub with a clear window in the center (not quite as easy to see oil level and condition - but still do-able).  The slightest water intrusion into the oil will turn the oil into a chocolate milkshake so an occasional glance at each hub will verify you're good to go.  Early on I lost an inside seal on one hub, replaced seal then put it all back together re-loaded it with oil (not supposed to fill hub more than about 75% capacity (over fill hub and you'll blow an interior seal...).

By the way all I ever do to check bearing condition -is to feel each hub after a long run - any sign of running hot and I'll know I've got a bearing running bad... that simple.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • CaptjamesCaptjames Pompano BeachPosts: 180 Deckhand
    WOW, that's one hell of a lot of miles on hubs.  I put new hubs on my trailer in June (but grease ones with bearing buddies) and live in Pompano Beach,FL and do the same trips you do but 9 out of 10 times to Everglades City. just wondering how many miles I should run them before pulling them and doing bearings. I have a single axle trailer and a 20' Lake and Bay.  Not thrilled about having a single axle but that's what the boat came with. 

Is your boat a darker blue with a all black (no decals) optimax on it and polling platform?