Home General Paddle Craft

Trolling with gogs

cranker789cranker789 MiamiPosts: 418 Deckhand
Wondering what kind of setup to use when trolling gogs. I'm new to trolling on the kayak. I got two gogs this morning and headed out. both got hit, both were lost. I was using an old penn 850ss, 20lb mono main line, about 6 ft mono 60lb leader, then 18'' wire with two treble hooks. Once it broke off at the main line, and the other time on the leader. Still learning so any input appreciated! Pretty sure i gotta beef up the tackle a bit but don't know to what. Thanks. 

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,587 Captain
    edited October 9 #2
    20 lb test should be enough. Replace your line, don't fight these fish with a heavy drag. Learn to tie a 15 ft double line  Bimini Twist leader with 60 to the 20 main line. If you are hooking large fish like billfish or sharks their tails can  wrap it or hit it. I would guess in a kayak you have no choice but to follow a tish from straight back behind it, but in a powered vessel i follow fish slightly from the side so the line is not dragging over their backs and tail. i have caught marlin on 30 lb mono.
    Giimoozaabi
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,456 Captain
    edited October 10 #3
    I’d set that 20lb outfit up a rod’s length of at least 80lb mono…
    and my 20lb would have a Bimini twist to double it before using a stout connection to that leader…. From there -for sails, dolphin, cobia, tuna, tarpon, or other fish without cutting teeth I’d attach a 6/0 circle hook ( I like Owner or Gamakatsu) and you’re ready to fish a goggle eye, mullet or blue runner.  If you’re in king mackerel, wahoo,  barracuda territory then I’d want a 100lb swivel, 12 to 18” of #6 or 7 wire with a single 6/0 or 7/0 hook… If you choose to add a stinger hook, use the same size wire to add a second single hook - one size smaller, set into the live
    bait about two inches up from the tail… Remember that a double hook rig slows down your bait and shortens its life.

I haven’t fished blue water in many years but that’s where I got my start as a mate on charter boats, then held a commercial ticket in the eighties for a few years… To see what I’ve been up to in recent years check out my fishing report on the South Florida board.
    Hope this helps
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,492 Captain
    I use 20-40lb mono on my conventional reel.  An 18ft 30-40 Flouro leader attached via an 80lb spro swivel.  Multistrand 30-40lb wire leader, a 4/0 main hook with a #4 stinger hook. 
  • cranker789cranker789 MiamiPosts: 418 Deckhand
    Thanks, I learned the Bimini twist and tied it on my 20lb main line. How do I tie my 60lb leader to the Bimini? Then I usually will do an improved clinch knot to tie to the swivel attached to the wire. 
    You have several choices when joining doubled line to leader material using a knot (and not a swivel...).  Look up the Albright knot then look up the uni to uni knot (probably the easiest for a first timer.  More than a few other knots just as strong (I use the Slim Beauty a lot...).  My bible for knots, all those years ago was PRACTICAL FISHING KNOTS  by Mark Sosin and Lefty Kreh (the original or the later version, in hardcover or soft cover...).  You can probably pick up a used soft cover version for next to nothing on Amazon or E-Bay... The idea with every connection you make is for the knot to be as strong or stronger than the breaking strength of the line you're using (that's the whole point of a bimini twist since it's rope making technique -and just as strong as the line itself...).

Hope this helps
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Thanks Lemay, looks like they have it at bass pro i may go pick it up. I need to work on my knots, i usually stick with the same ones but they probably aren't the most effective knots. For example i always use the improved clinch knot and it's great for low test line but the heavier mono doesn't want to tie with that knot and it's not easy tying the heavy mono to a small swivel with wire attached. I finally got all the parts for my hobie and now i have a 2.5 suzuki attached so ill be fishing more now. 
    A five turn improved clinch will work for heavier mono leaders (make sure to anchor the hook or swivel so you can really tighten it properly) - after adding a bit of saliva to lube the line... You can't use this knot on heavy fluoro though (fluoro is stiffer than mono in the same sizes.  I find that an ordinary five turn clinch works very well on fluoro leaders from 40lb on up... 

A side note... stopped by my usual tackle supplier (Capt Harry's in Miami) yesterday and was absolutely shocked at what 80lb Seaguar fluoro blue label was selling for (just under $90 a spool...).  Guess I'm going back to mono leaders until this covid stuff finally shakes out and we get back to normal (whatever that is....).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Wow... yes i use mono leaders because fluoro is just too expensive. Didn't think to anchor the swivel, i'll have to put a small nail in a stud in the wall for that purpose.

They didn't have the book at bass pro, so i picked up a little book they did have called the little red fishing knot book. It's not great for showing how to tie knots as there aren't enough pictures, it's kind of hard to follow. but i did learn a few things, and i can look up the knots on youtube i think will be helpful. 
    Don’t put a nail into something then pull on it… since ERs are expensive and you might end up needing more than a band-aid if it pops loose on you…
    Instead, use a ice pick, an awl, or a good sized nail as a handle through one end of that swivel while you really pull on the leader with you other hand. 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    I grab the swivel by the barrel with a pair of pliers to pull.  The improved clinch knot was what I learned to tie 50 years ago.  Since then there are many other knots with 5-10% better performance to choose from.  There are lots of videos and guides on how to tie knots for free, just a web search away.    
  • krashkrash Posts: 768 Officer
    Here is a good source for learning knots...
    Animated Knots by Grog
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    edited October 17 #13
    Bite was slow yesterday for me but I had some issues with my baits. Did manage a nice size barracuda but nothing to keep. The baits were spinning when I was trolling. Does this mean I was going too fast or something else. They were live gogs. Maybe my stinger was to far from the first hook causing it to spin? 

On a positive note my tackle held up just fine, pulled in the cuda easily with no issues. 
    Bite was slow yesterday for me but I had some issues with my baits. Did manage a nice size barracuda but nothing to keep. The baits were spinning when I was trolling. Does this mean I was going too fast or something else. They were live gogs. Maybe my stinger was to far from the first hook causing it to spin? 

On a positive note my tackle held up just fine, pulled in the cuda easily with no issues. 

I find that speeds over 2mph tend to be too fast for the gogs to swim, and when they can't swim, the nose hook needs to be well centered on the bait, or they will spin.  Spinning baits rarely get hit, spin up the line, and are generally no good.  A Barracuda is a good intial shake down, but the reel test will be when you bring in a king or a tuna.
    Ok thanks I was probably going too fast. I’ll have to untangle my lines too they are spun up. 
  • krashkrash Posts: 768 Officer
    One Word.. "Swivel"

Won't fix the spinning baits, but will help eliminate line getting all twisted up.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
    krash said:
    One Word.. "Swivel"

Won't fix the spinning baits, but will help eliminate line getting all twisted up.
    My rigs have two swivels, one at the end of the stinger, a second at the end of the fluoro leader.  The swivels help, but the line still can bet very badly spun up to the point that I am frequently replacing the line.
  • ArthurAvaArthurAva JacksonvillePosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Here's a suggestion that might help cure the spin if going too fast wasn't the issue.  Put the front hook in the nose, then take the stinger and make sure you have a good bit of slack in the wire before you put the hook through the back part of the bait.  Like a rigged ballyhoo or swimming mullet that spins, the weight of the pull is not on the nose, it's on the hook coming out of the midsection.  On those baits, the pull needs to be where the pin in the nose is.  On your live bait, the weight of the pull isn't on the nose hook, it's on the back hook.  That will cause it to spin.  Also, if you want your Gog or Blue Runner to swim deeper, clip the bottom part of the tail fin off.  With the bottom half gone, the bait swimming with the top part only, will push the bait deeper.  Helps if you don't want to fool with sinkers and rubber bands.    
    Hooking the bait on the top of the head instead of the nose will also force it to go deep as one trolls.