Home General Hunting

The most profound deer research I have come across..

mattb78mattb78 Posts: 271 Deckhand
Mississippi State.  Study to accountfor differences in antler sizes across the state (some areas had on average 20 inches more antler on same aged bucks).

Captured pregnant does. Raised deer in captivity with high protein diet fed to them all the time.

1st generation bucks (average of 9 pounds heavier and 7 inches of antler) at age 3. Researchers were shocked.

2nd generation bucks(bucks born from the 3 year old does raised in captivity), 20-30 pounds heavier and gains of over 20 inches of antler size. What researchers were expecting to see.. but they expected this in the 1st generation.

What this tells us:
-It likely takes years of quality habitat and food for a herd to release the genetic sequence to grow larger bodies and antlers.
-Food plots/protein: It can help the herd health and population in one year, but if you want bigger deer it is going to take some time.
-A bucks potential is more determined at birth than we ever thought that it was.

It was pretty astounding to me. I thought I would share. Anybody working the land or lease in areas with poorer habitat need to realize the time it takes for the herd to recognize improved habitat and diet.

Replies

• joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 724 Officer
    edited October 8 #2
    Epigenetics. It’s a fairly new field of study in deer research that’s been producing some interesting findings with real world application.

I’m familiar with several properties in FL that are seeing generational improvement in their deer herd because of it. It takes a long-term commitment to improvements in nutrition and age structure on a broad scale. Something not practical on the average property. But, where people have the desire, ability, and patience to do it, the results are impressive. 

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,676 Admiral
    A good friend that breeds World famous Stallions says half of it is the Doe...
    Just sayin
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,446 Officer
    Ole miss has done few with whitetails also. Remember this pic from 15 years ago I just found it. Check out  check out Leroy at 1.5 years old. All of them at 3.5 are studs though and there's 20 inches between them. I'd shoot any one of them and be happy as can be.