Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Redfish Management Discussion

I have added a link to some forums that FWC will be holding in various cities here in Florida. One of those will be here in Jacksonville. You can attend in person or virtually. If you have an opinion on Redfish management, lending your voice will be helpful when new regulations are formed. I have a very conservative view when it comes to redfish going as far as wanting the limit reduced to a one fish bag limit. I know that many people may not share my side on this issue and I'm very much ok with that, but please make sure you do your best to attend one or more of these meetings so your opinions will also be heard. 

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/FLFFWCC/bulletins/2f5d77c

Replies

• osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,361 Officer
    Unless science can prove they are in danger.   Why would you lower the limit.    And for the record I dont keep any redfish.
  • Bill DuaneBill Duane Posts: 316 Deckhand
    edited October 6 #3
    osprey11 said:
    Unless science can prove they are in danger.   Why would you lower the limit.    And for the record I dont keep any redfish.
    My opinion is just from personal observation, and is self-serving. I agree that studies would need to show good reason to make limit changes.
     My post is mostly to create awareness about these meetings, and I think it's obvious that FWC has something cooking when it comes to redfish or they wouldn't be holding so many forums. 
    People complain about the changes to flounder, sea trout, red snapper, any many more regulation changes but how many do any more than that?
     I tried to spread the word many times about the flounder forums that were being conducted but hardly anyone took part, now many of those same people are upset that we have a reduced bag limit, and a 6 week closed season (just so you know I'm good with the reduced bag). I don't hide my feelings about conserving our fish resources and promote catch and release, so far as to give reduced rates on those trips, but at the same time I will talk about proposed changes to anyone even those who I may disagree with to let them know what's going on so that they can voice their opinions too.

Tight Lines,
    Bill
  • artrecord224artrecord224 Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Thanks, Capt Bill! You’re a great ambassador for our community!
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,361 Officer
    I was for the size increase on flounder.   Not so much the limit change.   But am totally against a recreational closure while allowing commercials to harvest.    This is a horrible decision by FWC.   I did not attend a workshop.   I did comment to FWC.    They will do what they want.    There is no way they had 50% support for the taking away a resource from the public, while allowing commercials to harvest and sell them.      HORRIBLE RULE FROM FWC!!!!!!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,270 AG
    Not gonna lie every time I see a thread or get an email from FWC along the lines of "discussion over red drum" or any other fish, i get that sinking feeling because I know they are just going to either increase the size or decrease the limit, or just flat out end the season.     Opinions don't matter.   They are going to do what they want to do regardless.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,187 Admiral
    Spent the day in St. Augustine at the meeting.  There were 20 speakers on the G. Grouper issue, all but a couple from dive/tourist/guide groups in SF.  Everyone was reasonable. The Commissioners asked positive questions and then set staff to work......with slightly altered directives.

Redfish.........far fewer speakers, some of which were the same folks. Once again......reasonable for the most part. Seems that from what I saw that the problem is south and that the Commission/Staff is trying to figure out how to address the problem only where it is.

Was not there to speak on any of the issues so kept my mouth shut. 

Tomorrow has a different set of issues. We shall see.
  • windblowswindblows Posts: 262 Deckhand
    While I would agree with Bill on reducing the harvest limit to one per person per day (again), it seems like once a new regulation goes in place, it takes a long time to ever get it to go back the other way (let's take red snapper as the obvious example.) But, I really want to avoid a season closure on redfish and would be willing to do just about anything on the harvest/slot limit to ensure that doesn't happen.