Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

"Grouper Trolling Report" 9/30/2021

I was looking at the wind forecast and seemed like Thursday was looking good. Just then Capt Duane out of Homosassa and Chaz text wanting to talk fishing. So, that did it. Lets go fishing Capt Duane. We decided on just trolling, so success depended on us finding some weed free water.                       We headed north, northwest and found some in 17ft. Put our 20ft xraps and it wasn't long and we had our first keeper.                                                   We were pulling the blue mackerel and the wahoo colors. Caught fish on the wahoo color. The weed started to show up the further north we ran, so headed back south and as soon as we hit clear water Duane was on. Wahoo color again. 
 The ocean was alive with bait schools popping up here and there. Lots of big jacks. It seems like they were following us. They loved those lures. They are a nice fight, but we were looking for the more tastier fish. I do like trolling around those schools using deep running lures. I have pulled some nice cobia off those schools. But, the down side, mackerel also hang around and they are murder on the lures. And, yes we lost a lure to a mack.                           The trip at this point was to us a success. We were having fun with two keepers in the box and a few shorts put back. Now came the disappointment. I had a past mark that I decided to troll over. It is one beautiful piece of structure. As soon as we get over it, I could see grouper stacked everywhere. What a sight! It's what you love to see when trolling along. Go over it. Nothing. So, I tell Duane we are not going to leave that spot until we have worked it hard. Go at it from the opposite direction. Soon as plugs gets over structure, grouper on! Duane starts the fight. Grouper off. Bummer. Go back and start same track. The same things happens. Lose another one. Long story shortened. It happens again. And again! I now ask Duane " Do you have a banana in your lunch bucket?" Action stops. We move on with our tail between our legs.                                                                    We stop and have a beverage and try to figure out what just happened? We perk up and I pick another mark about half a mile away. Go over it and its looks just like the last one. Grouper are crazy stacked on it. This time hits right away. Have a double. Both fish pull off! ****. Turn around try again. Duane's on. Hook pulls. At this point Duane ask " Do you wish you had your treble hooks back on your plugs? I don't know what to say. I hate trebles. I've been hooked up to one.                                                                     Okay we are done! Head back to port with a smile still on our face. We still had fun, just with a little(maybe a lot) of disappointment mixed in.  We both have been fishing for awhile and its happens, you just wish you could figure it out. Back to a report. Weeds are still out there but not real bad. Some areas are weed free. You just have to look. I know that we will try to get in as many trips as possible if the wind cooperates. Hunting season is rapidly approaching. Enjoy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies