Home Egret Boats

Moccasin Draft

Vinny lVinny l Posts: 386 Deckhand
edited September 27 in Egret Boats #1
Quick question, have any of you guys ever actually measured the draft on your Moc? Someone asked me what it drafts with say 1/2 tank fuel and sparsely loaded for fishing. I would measure it but I can't being the boats in Florida and I'm in Commy land :/. Someone once said 10" +- an inch.

Replies

• TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 565 Officer
    edited September 28 #2
    Frank told me "floats in 11 inches". 

I have measured from my normal waterline to the bottom of the hull which should be the same number but I'll measure again next time I'm out.  

Of note... that carbon-kevlar one the Mercury 225 and lithium batteries was drafting atleast  1" less than mine at the dock a few years ago.

To tell you the truth... I don't see 9" vs 12" matters all that much.  You're not going to pole it and the trolling motor will not move the boat in 10" of water.
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 386 Deckhand
    edited September 28 #3
    TXWahoo said:
    Frank told me "floats in 11 inches". 

I have measured from my normal waterline to the bottom of the hull which should be the same number but I'll measure again next time I'm out.  

Of note... that carbon-kevlar one the Mercury 225 and lithium batteries was drafting atleast  1" less than mine at the dock a few years ago.

To tell you the truth... I don't see 9" vs 12" matters all that much.  You're not going to pole it and the trolling motor will not move the boat in 10" of water.
    Yep! I never fish in water that skinny anyway I was just curious because I was asked. I don't think the additional expense of Kevlar and Lithiums is worth the expense for just a few MPH and 1" or even 2 of draft but that's just me.
    I would like to get a Pollable boat in addition to the Moccasin. I've been looking at some, sweet little rides they are. Of course the one in particular is $$$$$$$$
    Living on LGI this summer I learned quite a bit about the Back waters. A lot of places I can access with a shallower drafting boat, places where fewer go. I had a great time with the Moccasin outside and inside it never failed me. It does run pretty skinny for a 21 foot boat just not skinny enough to get way back.
    edited September 29 #4
    edited September 29 #5
    If things go well for the next 5 years or so, I plan to sell the Moccasin and buy something like a Sheaffer 280, Onslow Bay 27, Egret 290, etc and get a cheaper 16-17' poling skiff. 

If things don't well over the next 5 years.... I'll keep chasing redfish, seatrout, dolphin, and tuna in my old paid-off 2015 Moccasin.

Sounds like a great plan!!
    edited October 12 #7
    So to answer my own question sort of, I picked up my Capt. at Placida ramp Saturday morning. Capt. Al has been guiding me for a while and knows the waters like any seasoned Capt. would. He's been fishing out of a 17' Action craft since 2005 so when I turned the helm over to him he wasn't sure what to expect. After some chop and a few solid three foot  wakes he turned to me and said WOW, Softest driest boat I've ever been in! He did have some concerns about taking us to certain areas that he knows are pretty skinny. I told him "we're here to see how thin she'll run so just don't chance it over Oyster beds otherwise drop the hammer".
     I don't think I need a skinnier running boat. The Moccasin took us everywhere he would have taken me in his boat.
    Just thought I'd share
    I converted the track to a route and it was 33.3 miles long.