Home Photography Corner

Camera Repair

gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,349 Captain
My Nikon B700 has been slowly going bad for some time now - focus is often slightly off and esp. on zoom shots.  It's the kind of thing where you think, "gotta get that sent in," but never quite can see how to go without it.

Recently the zoom lever under the shutter release broke and no more stalling, so sent it in last Friday.  Should be hearing from them by Wed. regarding repair choices.  Repair on this one for my stated problem is a flat rated $150.95.....plus shipping.  ($30)

What they've done the last 2 times is say something to the effect of: "parts aren't available to fix your camera, but we can offer you a refurb XXXX for ~$160.00 in exchange..

Last time, I sent in a tired P520 that I liked quite well (with some reservations) and they offered me a B700 in exchange.  Specs looked similar enuf, so I agreed to it.  The B700 did OK, but I never was really happy with it, tho' I did take over 10,000 pictures with it.  You make do with what you've got, right ??

This time, I'm thinking to be a bit more choosy - if they make a similar offer - and researching what I'd buy if I didn't have something offered.  It's not easy.  I prefer Nikon so will stick with them.....but which one ??

Several years ago. I bought an A900 for a back-up pocket camera and that didn't work out well.  In use, it was really too big for a pactical pocket camera and that long, skinny, multi-segment zoom locked up with dust within a year.  No more of those for me.  The smart phone works well enuf for that job, anyway.

The P520 is an 8 yr old design now, so would prefer something more up to date.  Battery life in it was poor, but carried several spares so not a biggie.  The super zooms leave me some cold - to my eye, anything over about 20X is a waste.  (I know - don't use the upper range of zoom. I don't)  Framing and focus get very iffy and I don't usually carry a tripod.  I do want a fully articulated viewscreen.  Prefer to stay in the $300 - $400 range.  My now very old 8800 had a remote shutter release that I really liked.

Looks like the choice is fairly limited now.  Any thoughts ??

Replies

• xeniaxenia Posts: 1,021 Officer
    What do you primarily use the camera for?  That may help in deciding what camera to go with.  I get a lot of use out of my D7200 for everything from family portraits and vacations, birds especially out at sea, and for the last couple of years astrophotography.  It's not the best by far for any of the above but does OK at all of them.  I use if with two lenses, the 16-80 and 80-400.  I also attach it to the telescope and use that as the "lens".  I'm very happy with it.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,349 Captain
    I've gotten much more casual in the last few years and mostly do just documentation and whatever I see that interests me.  The B700 did OK, but was iffy on long zoom shots.  I much preferred the P520.

I still have my old D300s in storage but don't need that level of camera anymore and don't really like fussing with changing lenses in the field.

I just received an email from Nikon yesterday confirming receipt of my camera and giving a firm price on repair - $177.xx.  In a bit, I'll fill out their form authorizing repair and see what happens.